Early induction?

I am 35 weeks pregnant, and currently measuring at 38 weeks. The doctor is going to do an ultrasound next week, and depending on the baby's size and lung maturity, he may induce the following week. He is also wanting an early induction because my liver enzymes have been elevated, and got critically high for a little while. I am having my blood drawn every few days to monitor my liver enzymes, and if they get critically high again, he will induce me immediately.

Did you have an early induction? Was the baby ok? Was the baby smaller than they thought based on the ultrasound?

mistical_me

Asked by mistical_me at 1:41 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was induced with my daughter at 37 weeks. She was smaller than they thought at 7 lbs 7 oz, but they hadn't induced totally because of size. She was fine and had no health problems (my oldest son who was born at 40 weeks when I went into labor naturally had huge problems and was in the NICU for several days)

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on May. 17, 2011

• High liver enzymes may just mean that you have gall stones. Did they say why your liver enzymes are high? If you are not having gallbladder pain, I would seek a second opinion. I had my gallbladder removed (a few months) after my baby was born. You may end up having a c-section if the baby is not in the proper position for induction.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:48 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I should have added, I had my gallbladder removed in 2006. The high liver enzymes are unexplainable by 2 doctors.
    mistical_me

Comment by mistical_me (original poster) at 1:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I was induced a bit early due to pre-eclampsia. Despite strong contractions for 24+ hours, I didn't dialate beyond half-way and had to have an emergency C-section.

Induction, according to many medical professionals I questioned later, often results in a c-section. Seems your body knows the baby isn't ready to come, so it doesn't respond to the artificial induction an a way that you'd hope...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:28 PM on May. 17, 2011