To pamper or to not?

Which do you think is more healthy for a child to spoil them and give them their every hearts desire or for a child who goes with out the un needed things life say we need?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 1:49 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• A combination of both, but to make sure they are aware of how lucky they are to have what they have. We don't spoil our kids rotten, but they do quite well & have enough.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:52 PM on May. 17, 2011

• learning to live life with things we cant live without is better than getting everything handed to us. Same for children
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:51 PM on May. 17, 2011

• You need a balance between these two things. Don't get them everything they ask for, but give them a chance to earn it or tell them to put it on christmas or birthday lists. Give them whatever they ask for and they'll be spoiled and expect everything handed to them in life. Don't give them any extras and they'll grow up feeling deprived.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:57 PM on May. 17, 2011

• A little of both. It's not a bad thing to indulge your kids once in a while. My kids get little gifts and treats at least a few times a week. But they are far from spoiled. And more than anything they are being taught how important it is to give rather than get. That all said, I don't think kids need to have everything they want, and I feel it's important to teach children to work for what they want...

To me, it's a balance between the two. It's not a bad thing to give your children all you can, but they also need to learn how to work for what they want and how to give themselves.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:57 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I dont think giving them every single thing they want is healthy because then they will learn to expect it, giving them special unneeded things just every so often will make them appreciate it more than if they got what they wanted all the time.
    mommy_of_2_0609

Answer by mommy_of_2_0609 at 1:59 PM on May. 17, 2011

• neither, sorry, a great medium is what is healthy your two choicesare both hindering!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:06 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Neither of those choices are a good way to raise a child. A child should not get their every desire at will, nor should a child go without ever getting something they wish. My children have plenty of toys, we take plenty of trips to zoos, museums, and amusement parks. They have plenty of shoes and clothes as well that go beyond what they really need but my children must behave and do simple chores like putting their shoes away, putting clothes in the hamper, keeping their rooms in order, etc to earn those extra things. It was how I was raised and I never took anything for granted and I never felt like I went without.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 2:57 PM on May. 17, 2011

• YOU HAVE TO HAVE BALANCE OR ELSE YOU WILL CREATE A SPOILED BRAT
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:00 PM on May. 17, 2011