Locks of loves?

I'm crying right now. My almost 4 yr old daughter found scissors and cut several locks of her hair up past her shoulders. Her hair is down just below her butt. Its wavy and red with gold and light brown highlights. I cant' imagin cutting her hair short, but since she already did it, I don't see that I have much choice. So if I have to chop off all that hair, I might as well donate it to a good cause. How do I find out where to go for locks of loves, and how many inches does she have to donate?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 1:53 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• 10-12 inches. There are certain requirements. I would google it. Only certain salons do it. If she has already cut some of her hair it might not be possible. A good hairstylist might be able to save what she has and maybe layer it...unless it is huge chunks.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 1:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• When I did it a few years ago I googled locks of love and it came up with a list of places. The minimum length was a 10 inch ponytail.

Answer by missanc at 1:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• 10 inches. Put it together in a ponytail before you cut it. Just mail it in. My daughter did it. Look at their website.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• http://www.locksoflove.org/ and I think it has to be 10" long and in a pony tail. the website will give you specific instructions as to what to do. GL and so sorry about you DD hair...mine did the same thing at 3...I cried and cried but honestly, it is only hair, it will grow back mama
    sdks2011

Answer by sdks2011 at 1:56 PM on May. 17, 2011

• It's a great organization. My dd and I have done it many times.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:59 PM on May. 17, 2011

• It has to be a min of 11 inches. My dd had hair down to her butt and it was not enough to donate.

Answer by gemgem at 2:00 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Different organizations want different lengths. Locks of love is now 12 inches. You can look at their site for information on donating hair. I grown mine out and send it in every 2-3 years and have been doing so for the last 16 years. It's a great cause. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• scout mom, what other organizations are there?
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 2:22 PM on May. 17, 2011

• This is not true. They need 10 inches to use it for a wig.
    This is straight from their website:

HOW TO DONATE

10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece.
    Hair must be in a ponytail or braid before it is cut.
    Hair must be clean and completely dry before it is mailed in.
    Place the ponytail or braid inside of a plastic bag, and then inside of a padded envelope.
    If you wish to receive an acknowledgment for your hair donation, please fill out the hair donation form, or write your name and e-mail address or mailing address on a full size separate sheet of paper and include inside the envelope. We cannot acknowledge donors who do not send their name and address according to these instructions.
    All hair donations must be mailed to Locks of Love at:

234 Southern Blvd.
    West Palm Beach, FL 33405-2701
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:58 PM on May. 17, 2011

• =/ No bueno. And everyone answered for me, lol. I donate my hair a lot..grow it out just to chop it off and donate 12in (though you need at least 10in).
    .MommieAJ.

Answer by .MommieAJ. at 3:10 PM on May. 17, 2011