How do you use "I"?

Here is a synopsis of Obama's speech on Usama bin Laden:

"Tonight, I can report . . . And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta . . . I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden . . . I met repeatedly with my national security team . . . I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action. . . . Today, at my direction . . . I've made clear . . . Over the years, I've repeatedly made clear . . . Tonight, I called President Zardari . . . and my team has also spoken. . .These efforts weigh on me every time I, as Commander-in-Chief . . . Finally, let me say to the families . .. I know that it has, at times, frayed. . . .."

Compare that with the speech given by George W. Bush on December 14, 2003:

President Bush's Speech Upon the Capture of Saddam Hussein

"Good afternoon. Yesterday, December the 13th, at around 8:30 p.m.
Baghdad time, United States military forces captured Saddam Hussein alive.

He was found near a farmhouse outside the city of Tikrit, in a swift raid conducted without casualties. And now the former dictator of Iraq will face the justice he denied to millions.
The capture of this man was crucial to the rise of a free Iraq.

It marks the end of the road for him, and for all who bullied and killed in his name. For the Baathist holdouts largely responsible for the current violence, there will be no return to the corrupt power and privilege they once held.

For the vast majority of Iraqi citizens who wish to live as free men and women, this event brings further assurance that the torture chambers and the secret police are gone forever.

And this afternoon, I have a message for the Iraqi people: You will not have to fear the rule of Saddam Hussein ever again.

All Iraqis who take the side of freedom have taken the winning side.

The goals of our coalition are the same as your goals -- sovereignty for your country, dignity for your great culture, and for every Iraqi citizen, the opportunity for a better life.

In the history of Iraq, a dark and painful era is over. A hopeful day has arrived.
All Iraqis can now come together and reject violence and build a new Iraq.
The success of yesterday's mission is a tribute to our men and women now serving in Iraq.
The operation was based on the superb work of intelligence analysts who found the dictator's footprints in a vast country.

The operation was carried out with skill and precision by a brave fighting force.
Our servicemen and women and our coalition allies have faced many dangers in the hunt for members of the fallen regime, and in their effort to bring hope and freedom to the Iraqi people.

Their work continues, and so do the risks.

Today, on behalf of the nation, I thank the members of our Armed Forces and I congratulate 'em.
I also have a message for all Americans: The capture of Saddam Hussein does not mean the end of violence in Iraq.

We still face terrorists who would rather go on killing the innocent than accept the rise of liberty in the heart of the Middle East.

Such men are a direct threat to the American people, and they will be defeated.
We've come to this moment through patience and resolve and focused action. And that is our strategy moving forward.

The war on terror is a different kind of war, waged capture by capture, cell by cell, and victory by victory.
Our security is assured by our perseverance and by our sure belief in the success of liberty.
And the United States of America will not relent until this war is won.

May God bless the people of Iraq, and may God bless America.
Thank you."

http://nation.foxnews.com/president-obama/2011/05/17/bush-vs-obama-different-ways-use-i-speech

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 1:53 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's pretty clear that Obama didn't mind being credited with this success and Bush didn't want to be credited with that failure. That's just speech writting 101, I don't think it has anything to do with Obama.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• There is no "I" in TEAM!! LOL :o)

He's a one-man show!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:57 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Bush didn't want to be credited with that failure.

Excuse me, upsherises, but you consider capturing Saddam a failure???
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 2:03 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Lots left out of the first speech, though it was a bit iffy for those couple minutes that are carefully preserved above, there was a lot before and after it that was very nice. I found the Obama and Bush speeches regarding bin Laden to be very similar, and both very positive. It's nice to see both of them standing together in unity, something our country desperately needs.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:10 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No i consider the war on terror a failure. Capturing Saddam didn't change anything in the same was the our recent success won't really change anything.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:14 PM on May. 17, 2011

• "Bush didn't want to be credited with that failure. "

But at the time, was it considered a "failure"? As I recall, it was considered by many to be a great success... we have to remember that hindsight is 20/20. It is quite possible that there will be (heck, there already has been) backlash from bin Laden's death. I'm not sure in hindsight that Obama will want to take as much credit for it as he initially has. I have a feeling that if something really bad happens here in the US in retaliation for bin Laden's death, that Obama will come out and tell everyone that he really didn't want the guy killed, that someone else made him give the order to go after him....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:18 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No i consider the war on terror a failure. Capturing Saddam didn't change anything

There are a lot of Iraqi's that disagree with you.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 4:01 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have a feeling that if something really bad happens here in the US in retaliation for bin Laden's death, that Obama will come out and tell everyone that he really didn't want the guy killed, that someone else made him give the order to go after him....

Think he'll blame Bush again or someone new? I know if it happens no way is he going to take the responsibility.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I think it boils down to Obama is all about himself and Bush was all about doing what he thought was best for the U.S. Not saying Bush always got it right, but no one ever does.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 4:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• eye rolling

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:55 PM on May. 17, 2011