Do you think its fair to my golden retriever that i not pet him or show affection only when i cant have him get too excited?

if i show him love whatsoever he gets wild and just goes crazy!
i feel bad when sometimes i have to resist showing affection just so he doesnt get my clothes dirty one, and two jump on me or my guests

Liz4Life

Asked by Liz4Life at 1:58 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Pets

• no its not fair. teach him not to jump. if you can't show him love - give him to someone who can. he neeeeeds love - thats why he gets excited when he feels it. not showing him love will make him even more excited to get it......
    Tiffany8168

Answer by Tiffany8168 at 2:02 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No, I dont think it is fair to your dog that you do not show him affection. He acts up when he does get pet because he does not recieve the affection that he deserves. Your dog is you family, somewhat like a child. Would you not hug your child because you didn't want them to dirty you?

Maybe this advice will help you. If your dog is not trained in obiedence then at least train him to sit on command. That why he can recieve affection and be well behaved because he has mastered the skill of sit.

As for quest, don't refuse to have quest over just because your dog may get a little rowdy. Invite a friend over and allow your dog to be near the visitor but keep him restrained on a leash. When ever your dog jumps or is to rough with the visitor, pull him by the leash and out of the room and out of view of your friend. Do this untill your dog has learned that he will be removed every time that he jumps up. REWARD FOR SURE!
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 2:06 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Hi Liz4Life -
    You don't mention his age. I must say I agree with most people who have shared a suggestion with you. If you withhold affection from him he will only get worse. If you give him affection regularly you should begin to notice a difference after some time. It will not happen over night and probably won't happen in the next few weeks or months. However it WILL happen. Another helpful hint is not to remove your hands from his body as you pet him. If you begin at his head keep your hands on his body as you continue to pet him down his back, moving to his legs, rubbing his tummy, up his sides, then back up to his head. They love that sort of contact! I am sorry to hear that you don't want him to dirty your clothes because that's what dogs do. Perhaps a personal pet trainer or a training class would be better. Last option would be to re-home him to a family who doesn't mind getting a little dirt under their nails.
    SarahFarah

Answer by SarahFarah at 4:59 PM on May. 17, 2011

• sounds like training is needed, to be honest. My dogs get loved on every time they sit and get a knee to the chest everytime they jump. PetSmart has training classes you can sign up for and it's worth the money.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 2:02 PM on May. 17, 2011

• get a dog trainer. you shouldn't have to withold affection from the animal. My dog was the same way, and he was like a horse. I started taking him the trainer and they taught him that certain action get him affection, like sitting, stayiing, heeling, and letting strangers pet him when I give the command. So worth the money.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 2:02 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Have you tried only petting his head and not his body? I have seen that petting the length of their body tends to get them all excited. Just a small suggestion.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:09 PM on May. 17, 2011

• thats all very helpful, that reminds me! i was totally going to do dog training with him this summer :)
    other than the training, do you think if i gave him constant attention and love 24/7 (cuz it seems that he can never get enough) do you think his need for love would diminish and he would stop growling for attention?
    I just feel like he's soooooooo needy which is cute, but if i ever stop petting him he cries even though i just gave him constant love for hours!
    he's like a big baby for sure, so how much is too much and how little is too little?
    we treat him sooo well, take him for walks, brush him, wash him, pet him, i made him a dog bed. all 5 of us give him soooo much attention, why does he still need more!?
    i feel like i have to take less classes just to take care of him, or even get a babysitter if no one is here, is that normal? thanks
    Liz4Life

Comment by Liz4Life (original poster) at 2:16 PM on May. 17, 2011

• A dog this big needs A LOT of outdoor exercise. Tire him out on a daily basis (long frisbee sessions, long jogs, etc) , THEN show him affection. But remember he is a dog, and needs to learn the "pecking order" in the family. Once he knows his place, he'll be a lot more secure and less "needy."
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:19 PM on May. 17, 2011