Any advice for fighting siblings.

Not only do my kids ( 2 and 3) fight, but they also fight with other kids and family members (children)

styhmMommy

Asked by styhmMommy at 1:59 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Are you talking arguments or knock-down drag-out hurting each other type fights?

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Knock down dragging each other fights and also full on screaming wars. There is biting, hair pulling, kicking, and piching.
    styhmMommy

Comment by styhmMommy (original poster) at 2:07 PM on May. 17, 2011

• whenever you see them figting, have them hold hands while at home, if fightinf with relatives or while at school ask the "teacher" to allow them to say something nice instead of have them fight all the time
    aw98223

Answer by aw98223 at 2:11 PM on May. 17, 2011

• They are probably together ALL the time being so close in age. I would say to try and spend time with each seaparatly every so often. Maybe they just need breaks from each other. I do this with my 2 children that fight a lot. My husband will take one and I will take one to do something. We still do things together because they dont fight with anyone but between themselves. I hope they get better for you and you can figure out what works for your kids
    mommy_of_2_0609

Answer by mommy_of_2_0609 at 2:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• First, you need to plan a calm response in advance so you are ready (practice if staying calm doesn't come easy to you). Then, you need to follow through consistently. With my 3 1/2 year olds the plan is that there is some sort of consequence every time things get out of hand. For instance, if they get too rambunctious and it turns into a physical altercation, I say something like, "Oh, guys, it is sooooo sad that you decided to fight. Now you can go to your room until you are ready to be sweet." Other consequences might be missing out on a treat they love to eat (ice cream) or missing out on going somewhere they love to go (park). If it happened when we were out somewhere I'd leave with them immediately and let them sit in their room when we got home. If it happened with company over I'd remove them from the room where the fun was happening and make sure they know it's sad that they are missing it.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:23 PM on May. 17, 2011