How do I get my son to stop bitting?

Nee85

Asked by Nee85 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Alot of ppl will disagree with me. But when my kids would do it, and wouldnt stop after being punished. I would bite back. Not too hard, but to let them know that it does noy feel good. It's work for me any everyone else I know that does it.
    To each thier own?
    Anonymous

• Well ....Putting him time out sometimes works,

And just giving him a smack on the hand works sorta...

I dont honestly know..DD is doing the same darn thing to her dad!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 7:35 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• well, my son started biting me at 9 months -I let him bite because he refused to take a teething ring or anything to relieve his pain and he was getting his front teeth in - once those came in, he stopped til he was about 11 months old - then I would do the NO NO and pulled him away and told him NO BITE in a stern voice - I put him aside and walked aways like a time out would be - I did all this because I didn't want to bite him back and because my husband was against it - I ended up flicking him mouth after he bit me so hard that I bled, but that didn't work eihter -he laughed at me - apparently my husband changed his mind and he bit my husband 1 time ever and he bit him back and thats all it took - I still can't bring myself to do it but he still trys to bite me too - I don't know - it seems to work for everyone I have ever talked to -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I have the same problem with my 2.5 yr old. I have a 4 yr old too and the little one is always biting the older one. He scratches too and I don't know what to do about it. We're not against spanking so we do but he does it again and again. I even told my 4 yr old that it's OK to smack his hand or mouth if he either scratches or bites him but he hasn't stoped. I'll have to see about biting him back but I don't think I can scratch him back. LOL.
    Any other advice will be appreciated.
    jval134

Answer by jval134 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• This sounds bad but I let mine get popped in the mouth, not too hard, just enough to more or less scare them to know it hurts. Like if you touched a hot stove and it hurt you wouldn't do it again type of thing. Ive only been bitten maybe 2-3 times btw my two girls the oldest 2 1/2 and youngest 10 1/2 mo.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 5:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2008