Chance of down syndrome?

I was told today that a blood test shows increased risk of down syndrome.

Did anyone else experience this? How did you handle it, what were your next steps? Did you choose the amnio, or wait it out to see?

Anyone have any good advice for me?

angelmommy11

Asked by angelmommy11 at 2:19 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Kids' Health

• i have seen alot of my friends be told their baby had a high chance for down syndrome and not one of them where born with it... i think that test can be wrong quite often... try not to stress over it =) just be prepared for whichever happens and enjoy your pregnancy as much as you can!! it goes by too fast. at least it did for me!
    hfaddis

Answer by hfaddis at 4:53 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Don't panic. Increased risk doesn't mean for sure.

If your child does have DS, contact your local DS group and learn as much as you can before the birth. The more prepared you are the more comfortable you'll be. And you'll find support to deal with the emotional issues too :)

Good luck!
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• did you have the Ultrasound done with it? they can check the neckfolds as well. my friend tested high risk for trisomy 13 & 18 she did not have it done. another friend tested high risk for downs and had the amnio and there was no chance, those blood test they do before pregnancy are alot of times wrong. if you feel comfortable with it have the amnio just to know. I had an amnio for a different reason and its not toatlly horrible
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 2:22 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Would it really matter when it comes to keeping the baby? The only difference it would make for me it to emotionally prepare for a baby that would have special needs, so that we can prepare our home properly. I would go through with the amnio so that you can find out as longs is doesn't put you or the baby at risk.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• It happens to my best friend. They did more than one test on her and told her point blank her daughter would be born with down syndrome. They tried to persuade her to abort her baby. She said no. She had her baby and she was 100% perfectly healthy without down syndrome. Her baby is a little over 2 now. She stressed so bad so I feel for you! Try and keep a positive attitude. I asked my friend if the baby does have downs syndrome would you love it less? She said no. So she kept her baby and it all turned out fine.

Answer by gemgem at 2:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I wanted to see but did research in FULL exactly what to expect if DD did turn out to have DS. She doesn't have DS but I wouldn't have changed a thing, I now know so much more about DS and find it very educational!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• IF you need to 'prepare' yourself for a downs syndrome baby, then get the amnio. IF you are stressing over it....not good for you or the baby...get the amnio. Sometimes knowing will put it in perspective and you can feel prepared. I am sure you will love your child no matter what...but relaxing and being prepared are good reasons. :) Good luck! <3
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 2:25 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Thanks everyone - if turns out to be true we would still love and welcome the baby. I just don't know if finding out is better or worse. The doctor said that amnio would put me at risk for miscarriage... so I would rather not.

Tomorrow I get the ultrasound done and consult with a genetic person so hopefully that will put my mind at ease.
    angelmommy11

Comment by angelmommy11 (original poster) at 2:29 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No we didn't but I've heard lots of people who have been told they have a higher chance and their babies didn't have it.
    PrincessPeach06

Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 2:36 PM on May. 17, 2011