Is this cruel?

My 3 1/2 DD just doesn't know when to stop! She gets into the kitchen and into stuff before i'm up in the morning (a gate has stopped that, be we actually have to lock it because she knows how to open it now).. and during nap time, when I am TRYING to do my class work she gets into the bathroom. I am sick of it, she knows better and I shouldn't HAVE to get up every 5 minutes to check on her!! This is the 3rd conditioner bottle she has gone through, and she does everything immaginable to get to the stuff, so it doesn't matter where the stuff is.. she gets it by climbing on the toilet, sink, tub and one of these times she's going to get hurt! She was in there 15 minutes before there was a mess! She's quiet and doesn't make a sound so you don't know she's out and about. I have sat in there with her, but that's when she decides to play and climb on me so I STILL can't get anything done.!! So, we're getting another gate to go on the opposite side of her door because in the past 4 days she has figured out how to get outside by herself and the door is back there too!!

Is this cruel, or would you do the same thing? Any suggestions!? I don't even care if she actually naps, just a quiet time because she is evil and mean and rebellious if she doesn't get this time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• WE HAVE OUR KITCHEN GATED OFF. IT IS TOO DANGEROUS NOT TOO. ALSO LOCKS EVERYWHERE ON CABINETS. SHE IS TESTING YOU. GET SOME GATES NO IT IS NOT CRUEL ITS FOR HER SAFETY & YOUR SANITY.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:33 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No, I don't think it's mean. She has to learn boundries & she is better safe than sorry.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• not mean, but i would consider looking into a mother's day out program for her, she needs to play with other kids... and you need some time without her...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 2:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No it isn't cruel, just need to stop your child fr getting out of her room so you can protect her. I would get a gate that is as tall as you can find or maybe stack them and make sure that you protect the bathroom and the outside door by putting on a lock with a key that only the grown ups can use.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Put a baby monitor in her room. That way you can hear when she leaves it. I would hide it out of sight.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 2:37 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have the same kind of kid almost any way. I have our living room with a gate that opens and closes, so when i am not in there, i put the gate up and he will only ask to come out if he needs to go pee. then i follow him to the bathroom and stand by the door, that way i know if he is up to something i can get in and scold him or puinish him. Then when it comes to nap time i sit with him for 15 mins and most of the time he falls asleep if i do that. IF i don't sit with him i shut his door and he then cant get out. (he is too short to open our doors)
    try new methods but it is not mean
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I gate off sections of my home that would be unsafe for the kids. We all stay on the same side of the gate. WHen I need to study, I sit with them, in the same gated room, so I can keep an eye on them while they play. I know they can't run off or get into anything.

I think that a child cannot be awake and not under constant supervision until about 4 1/2. And even with that, you need to check on them frequently to make sure they are not getting into stuff that could hurt them or mess the house.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• nope!! we always have a gate in front of ds's door since he's been in a toddler bed. he keeps wierd hrs so its eaiser for us to make sure that 1) he wont tumble down the stairs 2)he wont get into anything and 3) so he wont walk in on me and dh lol!
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 2:56 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Oh no, she can open her door, and ANY door in the house even the doors OUT of the house! Gate is necessary, sitting with her really doesn't help she is no calmer and I HATE being a push over.. And I do try not to be, it's just a pain in the butt and I don't freak about every tiny little thing. But with this all happening and her getting worse by the day I am going to have to start. I don't like the idea of spanking, but if that is the ONLY thing that is going to get her attention I am going to have to. She listen to my husband, but he has got a different job and is only home 3 hours out of the day. SO! It's pretty much me all day and she's going to HAVE to start listening. If that means that she to spend the larger portion of 3 days in her room ... that's what i'm going to have to do :( It makes me sad, and I need any help I can get.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:01 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Immagination, the only problem with being in the same room is that on school work days she wants nothing to do with anything else but me. Yes, I am sure it sounds a little selfish, but honestly the days I do nothing but try and play with her she wants nothing to do with me.. But, the second I am typing on the pc she is ALL over me and I can't get a thing done! THAT is why I do it while she has quiet time. She does well when she is by herself playing, but when it comes to quiet time she is all over the place just to stay awake. Which means that without a gate I can't get a darn thing done because I would be checking on her every 5 minutes because she is soo sneaky about EVERYTHING.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:13 PM on May. 17, 2011