I took in a homeless 15 yr. old boy 10 months ago. I can't get him to do things like flush the toilet. How do I teach him without nagging every day?

Nannybettye

Asked by Nannybettye at 2:36 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Honestly I think it's just him being a kid. Does he have any issues with remembering other things? Is he outright defiant of you? Does he have trouble in school or in other areas of his life?
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• perhaps hang a gentle reminder sign above the toilet? something like "Please remember to flush"?
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 2:39 PM on May. 17, 2011

• He may legitimately have trouble remembering. Try making a visual cue. A small picture of a hand flushing a toilet and put it on the back of the door. SO he sees it when he is leaving.
    Anonymous

• I would put a sign up reminding him to flush. You did a great thing by helping him out.
    3mom627

Answer by 3mom627 at 2:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• respectfully sit him down like an adult and talk to him about the things that are bothering you...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 2:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Kudos, mama! If he grew up poor, it may have been the family's way of keeping water bill down. I agree, hang a lil note.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I like the other's ideas, I would talk to him and gently remind him that there are certain things that we do in the house- like flushing after going to the bathroom. You could put up a little 'reminder' chart of things that he has trouble remembering to do.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't have any advice for you, but I think it's wonderful that you've taken him into your home. I have friends with biological teenage sons who do those same things, so it may have nothing to do with his being previously homeless. I bumped your question for you.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 3:22 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Let him know that there are things that you need him to do and if he doesn't, he will be disciplined the same way as your other children.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 11:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Tried those months ago. The sign over the toilet was ignored and he rarely closes the bathroom door. I am at my wits end. I have asked him repeatedly to do things such as: Wash the dishes if I am not home (He eats constantly),make more koolaid if he drinks it all, not to eat and drink in his room (he has already ruined rug and bedding), put away his laundry (I have found clean clothes in his dirty clothes hamper). I know these sound like simple things, but I never had these problems with my own children. I have almost 20 yrs. experience working in facilities for children like him but I want this to be his home!
    Nannybettye

Comment by Nannybettye (original poster) at 3:00 PM on May. 17, 2011