Babysitting question???

I have a 12, 10 and 8 year old. The 12 year old will be thirteen in Sept. Sometimes I leave him with the other two, for just short periods of time. I have an event that me and my dh are wanting to go to next month. I was wondering if you think it would be ok for my neighbor to check on them two or three times throughout the evening and night. The hours would be about 6 PM to midnight. I have tried to find someone, just don't have any family that will watch them and can't afford 10 bucks an hour. Just thought I would give my neighbor 20 bucks or so. Would this be ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• If you have someone that you can trust and that is all you can afford then I would give a little more like around 30.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• That would be a tough one, if you believe they are "responsible" enough. To be honest though......I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself at the event cuz I would worry myself to death......lol
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:50 PM on May. 17, 2011

• To be safe I would call the police and ask what is the age children can be allowed to be left at home /'babysit' their siblings. It might be better to just ask the neighbor if they could babysit for the evening and either offer to pay them, or if they have kids offer to babysit for them one night in return. If it were me I would not leave the kids home by themselves. I would worry too much about them- if they are behaving themselves, if they are getting along or fighting, and I would not be able to enjoy my evening out.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:58 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I was babysitting at that age for kids younger than 10 and 8 so I would think it's fine. As long as your oldest is mature, knows what to do in an emergency, and doesn't fight with his siblings while in charge then I think it's fine. I would even be ok with just knowing the neighbor is home in case the kids need an adult, and then you can call to check in once or twice and make sure all is well. Get them a pizza or something before you leave and a few movies or games to keep them busy. I would consider saving the $20 to give to your oldest as payment for babysitting and let him know what is expected of him to earn that money.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Thanks Mary. I felt like an awful mother for even thinking about doing this. It's just something we have looked forward to for a while. My kids safety comes first though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My dd is going to be 12 this year and she in very responsible. However, i would not be comfortable leaving her home until 12. 10, yes... 12, no way. But, that my opinion and i don't know your kids or the neighborhood you live in...
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 4:30 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I was babysitting at age 12, for neighbor kids, and I'd stay until midnight for some of them. If you trust your kids, I think all will be fine. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Forgive me ashes, I didn't know I had to get your permission before I posted a question like this. How rude this was of me. (sigh)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I was babysitting by that age. It depends on how mature they are. I have a niece that's twelve and keeps mine sometimes. But I have a twelve year old son, that is not mature enough. As long as the neighbor will keep a check on them every hour or so, I don't see a problem with it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:52 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I dont believe a 12yr old child should be home alone, or watching others. you cant afford to pay a sitter then you dont need to be going on. sorry to say. and what if one of them choke or get cut then what, and no neighbor is around then what??? stop and think before you post something like that on here.
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 6:41 PM on May. 17, 2011