Is there any harm in putting regular dish soap into a dishwasher?

Other than the risk of bubble spill over that is? I used it in my dishwasher the other day because we were out of dishwasher soap and well, it cleaned my dishes a lot better and didn't leave any water spots on them. So now, I'm jus wondering if I can keep using it?

Inle_Rabbit

Asked by Inle_Rabbit at 5:54 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Home & Garden

• you can but just a pea drop. My hubby found that out last week when bubbles were coming out everywhere..LOL
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I did that once and for some reason my dishwasher started to leak water, I don't know if it was because I was using dishwashing liquid or the machine was just getting old. I never did it again.
    But with my now dishwasher I use dish detergent and a few drops of liquid and a cap of bleach all mixed in with the detergent. It works pretty good no problem...yet.
    I don't know why I started to do all this I guess I have a small case of OCD...lol
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• "But with my now dishwasher I use dish detergent and a few drops of liquid and a cap of bleach all mixed in with the detergent. It works pretty good no problem...yet.
    I don't know why I started to do all this I guess I have a small case of OCD...lol"

I do that!! I have a "system" for almost everything...
    NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 11:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• oh i did it before and lets just say my whole kitchen floor was filled up with bubble all the way to the front room!
    ldc90

Answer by ldc90 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• I do it all the time,just a couple of drops mixed with bleach.It works great.Lasts a lot longer then dishwasher liquid too.
    janie1973bon

Answer by janie1973bon at 9:57 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• Ok good. I've been using just dish soap for the last week and haven't had any bubble spill overs yet I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't wear away at any dishwasher components. I'm glad other people do it! I can't see why I should buy dishwasher detergent if this works so much better and cheaper! Thanks for your help ladies!

Inle_Rabbit

Answer by Inle_Rabbit at 10:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2008