Is this normal for down syndrome child ?

Last year i was asked to start babysitting a 14 year old boy with down syndrome ( it was my aunts friend who needed a sitter), I said I wasnt sure because even though i was looking for a child to babysit ( for extra money and I could still stay home with my kids) .. I had never really been around a child whop had down syndrome...

but the mom said she would talk to me about it and then I could chose.

I met the both of them and she explained that he is 14 but has the mindset of a 6 year old and can do anything like a 6 year old and I could just let him watch tv and play with toys and he would be fine.... Since I would only be watching him for an hour a day I thought I would try ( the bus would drop him off here and I would keep him until she got off work) ...

that was in September and I have watched him until now -- usually just after school but sometimes all day long ( like when school was cancelled) ...

He has done a few things and I have tried to talk to her about it and she acts like I am insulting her and just keeps saying... there is nothing wrong with him, he is just like a 6 year old, treat him like a 6 year old.

The "problems" I have had are... that he steals and says mean things...

--- He will tell my daughter she is ugly or if anyone comes over ( like my grandma or aunt) he will call them ugly and fat. he also calls my kids or other people stupid, idiots, etc..... Now I have tried to correct him everytime he does it but it doesnt work...

--- Almost everyday he will "steal" something , usually a barbie doll... he will put it in his pants and since I will not check his pants, I dont know this until his mom returns the toy the next day and she laughs about it.... I can tell she takes it lightly but... I dont know is that something that is normal for people with DS ???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• it's normal, children at are 100% honest and won't sugar coat anything.. they call it as they see it, if he finds you unattractive or a member of the family just let it roll off.. he hides toys just like my 5 year-old does from her sister. I'm gonna have to say normal!
    Anonymous

• Perfectly normal! As his Mother said, he is developmentally behind and that does include socially.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:04 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Totally normal.

Answer by gemgem at 3:10 PM on May. 17, 2011