Can military officers be guaranteed a duty station like enlisted members can?

I spent 6.5 years in the Army as enlisted...now I'm considering a direct commission into the Air Force Dietetic Internship Program after I finish my degree. I'm wondering if it's possible to be guaranteed a specific duty station as an Officer, like I was with my reenlistment?

hill_star03

Asked by hill_star03 at 3:16 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• my husband is a major in the Army and his branch usually has him rank his preferences (make a top 10 list of job preferences and location preferences based on what jobs are open at the time).
    We get our first choice about 2/3 of the time
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 3:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• These days, no one is guaranteed a particular duty station. You might want to talk to any friends you have that have commissioned to see what the Army's current situation is, but I know in the Navy, you don't get any guarantees right now.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:18 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I know members of all branches who have had a specific location written into their contracts within the last few years. Since officers do not have enlistment contracts, I'm wondering if in my commission where it says I must serve a minimum of 4 years after the ROTC program I could have a specific location written into that commission contract as well.
    hill_star03

Comment by hill_star03 (original poster) at 5:16 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No one is guaranteed anything with the military. My DH is navy and had it written into his reenlistment contract 2 years ago that he would be doing a split tour in July of this year. His command told him last December that he would not be able to leave until the middle of next year. Yet, there is a guy who is the same rate and division that DH is who is being offered a split tour. Contracts don't mean anything with the military.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 7:21 PM on May. 17, 2011