What do you think about spanking a child?

My fiancée and I had this discussion about spanking our child when he gets older and gets into everything. We both know its wrong, but now that I think about it, what if I tried everything (timeouts, being stern,putting things out of reach, etc) and our child doesn't listen and still gets into stuff? Then is it okay to spank him? We got into a long heated discussion about this. Personally I think its okay to spank him although its wrong but my fiancée stands still on his belief NO SPANKING OUR CHILD. He says its wrong and our son is going to grow up thinking violence is okay. I gave him that look like Really? Like can you come up with a even more stupider excuse not to spank a child? Ladies what do you think? Is it okay to spank a child or not?

Kaitlin123

Asked by Kaitlin123 at 3:17 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think there's a time and a place and a reason for everything. Never out of anger, never with an object, and never without trying other things 1st. And never with a child who is ill, tired, hungry, or cannot communicate.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Well I think that its okay for spanking cause they can learn but some kids use to of the spanking they don't care but spanking and a lil talk what they did wrong... they won't do it again
    avonbuyorsell

Answer by avonbuyorsell at 3:20 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I was spanked as a child and I grew up knowing violence is wrong. I believe there is a difference between beating your child and swatting on the butt when nothing else works. I know when we got spanked, it was after numerous warnings and we continued to disobey. I'm sure I will get voted down for this answer, but that is how I feel.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 3:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I do spank my kids, my parents spanked me, Um I'm not violent, I don't even yell at. It's a very rare occasion they get a spanking. Ex: my 6 you DS was in walmart w/me and he started pushing the cart into people, opened up a bottle of shampoo dumped it on the ground, ripped open a bag of pads, insisted on going to the toy section. That is waaayyy out of character, you bet I lit his butt up right then and there. Spanking is not illegal, and everyone has different morals, do what works for your child. But you'll want to sort out discipline before marriage, it can be a never ending marriage breaker
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My parents spanked me, I spanked my son. We all know violence is wrong.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 3:25 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I agree with hibbingmom 100%.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 3:25 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I spank my kids, I do not believe it is wrong. I was spanked and grew up being a happy child. I felt loved and I love my parents. I agree with hibbingmom, and I was not spanked and I do not spank my kids out of anger or with anything other than an open hand. I also believe time outs, a stern talk or losing certain items and or privileges (like TV, video games, and/or computer) should come before a spanking.

anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 3:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• You guys have great advice! Thank you! I'm going to surely talk with my fiancee again about this spanking issue. Its better if we can sort this out now until later. Thank you girls again :)
    Kaitlin123

Comment by Kaitlin123 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I am not against spanking but I have a three year old that has never been spanked and he listens fine.I'm just saying you don't have to spank for kids to listen if you teach them from the start that your the boss.
    Angel12507

Answer by Angel12507 at 3:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• For me I spank, within reason. I use time outs more and I only spank if the time outs arent working or if they do something dangerous. I then explain why I spanked them. I only use my hand, anything else is illegal, and I only swat once, not even hard.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:36 PM on May. 17, 2011