Getting a female dog spayed while she is in heat?

My female dog is getting spayed next week and she is in heat, the vet says that they will still spay her, I am just a little worried. Did you ever have a dog spayed while in heat? If so, did everything go ok?

urbuttacup88

Asked by urbuttacup88 at 3:17 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Pets

• We spay dogs in heat all the time.... just need to be sure you keep dog up after surgery until the hormones subside.... its costs a little more because of increased blood supply, but better do it than wait. If dog gets bred, then a pg spay will also cost extra.
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 3:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• yes it can be done it just costs more, me personally I would wait until she is out, I would hate for her to get out and still smell of heat after having surgery and another dog getting her.
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 3:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• If there is no medical reason to spay her right now, I would wait. For no other reason than it costs quite a bit more.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:29 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have never owned a female dog so have not had one spayed, however it is possible to have them done whilst in heat..but i understand it costs more.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:53 PM on May. 17, 2011