What are your ideas for reforming welfare?

I bet we can come up with more great ideas in one day on cafemom than congress has in years.

Dkhilly

Asked by Dkhilly at 3:21 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Better screening and monitoring so there's less abuse of the program, shorter time since extensions enable people/takes away any incentive to do differently.
    Anonymous

• Cut it off completely.
    Anonymous

• One of my ideas is to dump the government run programs, and have people put their tax money that went to welfare into a qualifying private charity of their choice instead.

I say this because private charities can often get 90-100% of their donations actually into the hands of the needy, while government welfare has been averaging closer to 33%. We could help a lot more people that way...and have a greater choice of which charities or programs we'd wish to support.
    Dkhilly

Comment by Dkhilly (original poster) at 3:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• 1. I would say drug testing for all involved...I am subject to random drug testing in order to keep my job.
    2. Mandatory job training
    3. Must prove that they are actively looking for a job
    4. Strict time limit
    5. No adding children while on assistance (yes I know someone will vote me down for that...but it is how I feel)
    6. I also think they should be doing some sort of work within the community to earn their check...(picking up trash on the side of the road, cleaning graffit, cleaning up parks, cleaning public buildings, and all kinds of other things that can be done)
    7. Better screening process

I realize that people have rights....but I don't feel I should be paying for someone else to pop out children, do drugs, and sit on their arse....I also realize there are people who legitimately need help.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Hire more social workers. Applicants should expect a routine visits from the Social Services Staff. If you don't like people dropping by then get a job.!
    Anonymous

• Enforce the laws we already have and educate people about what they are. 9 times out of 10, the suggestions people have to "improve" the system are the very rules that are already in place. They just prefer to assume everyone on welfare is there for life with no rules about eligibility than research the truth. There's nothing wrong with the structure of the system, there's an issue with a few select areas of the country (mainly overpopulated metro-areas where the social system is overwhelmed and understaffed) that don't investigate fraud as readily as they do elsewhere.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:38 PM on May. 17, 2011

• BTW, drug testing PA recipients would cost more money than it would ever hope to save, because the vast majority of recipients are elderly and disabled, not crackhead teen mothers with fake nails and Escalades, no matter how many times that phantom woman is spotted on CM.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Kick the military wifes OFF it....

HOW?? Easy PAY OUR MILITARY A LIVABLE WAGE...INCLUDE the fact that many have to MOVE away from their families so the wives may have to stay home without FAMILY support!! In fact....Pay them their CURRENT salary..TIMES 2......the SECOND check for the WIFE....she is "serving" as well

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• **wives

sweet-a-kins

2. Mandatory job training
    4. Strict time limit
    7. Better screening process

I agree with this 100%. And the downvoters must be lazy welfare mamas.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:04 PM on May. 17, 2011