Avoiding drama w/ IL's

MIL and I are planning SIL's shower, and since MIL wants LO there, DH and I will be showing up at the shower together.

I want advice on how to keep my sanity when I'm mingling with many of DH's aunts/cousins who clearly don't like me...or should I not mingle so I don't give them anything to talk about?

sigh...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Relationships

• Nice them to death. You will be at an upbeat event and just be upbeat even if you have to fake it. That will give them nothing to talk about and if they are a-holes they look like a-holes because youre being sweet as pie.

Answer by gemgem at 3:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• If you DON'T mingle they'll talk. If you DO mingle they'll talk.

Remember that "in law" is a prefix meaning "person to be ignored" and don't worry about the talk.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• kill them with kindness they will hate it...lol
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 3:39 PM on May. 17, 2011

• In a situation like this I would kind of go somewhere in the middle of ignoring them and sitting down to talk for hours. Just say a pleasant hello, with a smile on your face, and say it's nice to see you or how have you been and then leave it at that. Then you did your mingling and said your hellos, no one can say you ignored them, but you don't have to open up the conversation and get into any drama or say anything they can misconstrue or gossip about later. If they try to suck you into a conversation you don't want to be in, just politely say "I'm sorry to excuse myself but I need to check on the drinks/food/help clean up, etc" and move on. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Well, if you don't say anything then it will make you look like your "too good for them" I would just be yourself, make small talk and you do what you can to make yourself comfortable and I agree w/MaryMW.
    PatriciaofMN

Answer by PatriciaofMN at 5:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• there is always the bean dip solution if they start in on something you just say "Oh yeah sure have you tried the bean dip" it works everytime with my crazies they get all confused and forget what they were griping about
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 6:42 PM on May. 17, 2011