I need advice about starting my breastfeed baby to formula and drying myself up.

My baby is almost 7 months old and I want to stop breast feeding and I have picked the formula that I feel is the most approiate for my daughter and I was wondering whats better to do: Start her on straight formula or start her on a breast milk and formula combination. If it's the breast milk and formula combination whats the ratio?
Also, I need advise on drying my milk supply up.

jocelynvlong

Asked by jocelynvlong at 6:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• On dyring up milk supply, do you pump? Just pump enough when you are engorged to alleviate pain. Do not pump until you are dry. Your body will continue producing milk as long as there are signals that more is needed. If you pump just a little at each time, you will begin to produce less and less and eventually dry up. I would continue to feed her a combo of your milk and formula as long as you can. It is important that she continues to receive the benefits of breastmilk as long as you are willing. I think the ratio is whatever you want. There is no magic answer.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 6:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Drop a feeding a week, replacing that feeding with formula. I'd do it straight, no mixing. Expect to still have milk for as long as a year after weaning.

Here's the real thing...make sure baby will accept the formula. Many will be particular and what MOM wants doesn't even enter into the equation. (Babies are selfish that way, ya know.)

And know that the only thing weaning changes is that you're no longer nursing. They don't sleep more, they don't become less clingy, everything that "irritates" you about a baby stays in place but you've thrown a tool out of your mom toolbox.

Message me if you want to talk more about this...maybe there's another solution.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:32 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• the best way to dry your breasts up is the put cabbage leaves in your bra - you will still go through a couple days of painful swelling and it took more than a full 6 weeks for my breasts to completely dry up - but I really don't see the need to mix half and half of formula and breast milk - you could start it up today - just remember, the first formula you try may not always be the best for your baby - I ended up trying 5 different formula's to get my son to his happiest point - some made him too gassy, some made him spit up - some made him fussier - but I also started at 2 months cause my milk didn't come in well so it may be less of an issue at 7 months. good luck
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I am not trying to stop breast feeding my baby because she "irratiats" me. She has never accepted my breast ever I have pumped for almost 7 months...I am working full time and its just not working out for the best for any of us. I have a good supply of breast milk frozen so I am going to give her that while I am drying up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• lol i didn't mean to click that dang appear anonymously button.
    jocelynvlong

Answer by jocelynvlong at 12:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2008

• My friends binded their breasts....wrapped them up in ace bandages. And pumped half as much milk out at each pumping. I had to supplement breast milk and formula. I would mix it if I were you. That sudden switching could irritate her. Not sure though if it would bother her so much, because she is a 7 month old now. Assuming you are feeding her solid foods too. I know suddenly switching with much younger babies get their systems irritated. But pump less, less often, and bind them. Also put ice on them when you are home a couple times a day, like a cold comress.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2008