How do I get my 3 year old to poop in the potty?

My son has been peeing in the potty for a year but refuses to poop. He will even hold himself for several days to avoid it. I have tried many techniques but nothing seems to work.

butterflylp

Asked by butterflylp at 4:00 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know that this is not A1 parenting advice but have you tried just flat out bribery. My son pooped for Monster Trucks and absolutely nothing else.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:46 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I took the bribery route as well. My son loves cars so he got a matchbox/hotwheels car for pooping. Worked like a charm. Don't stress too much over it since holding it in can make the problem worse since it makes it harder to poop.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:07 PM on May. 17, 2011

• It takes time I just recently got my son to go poop in the potty and I think a lot of it had to do with fear and not being ready. I know it is frustrating when they seem to be getting everything else, but are stuck on something that we think is so minor. I am assuming that you have a ring and stool in the bathroom to help make him more comfortable. I would look for the signs that he had to poop and rush him in to the bathroom with a picture book and have him sit there for a few minutes hoping he would relax enough to poop eventually it worked. We would praise him when ever he used the bathroom and tell him what a big boy he is and on occasions I would give him a small piece of candy as a reward.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 11:00 PM on May. 17, 2011