Another kiddie question...toys vs. dog

My usual rule is no toys in the living room...I got tired of tripping over toys and damn near breaking my neck, got tired of her forgetting to put her toys away and my living room looking like Toys R Us exploded in there lol so now...no toys in the living room...you have a beautiful, big bedroom..if you want to play with your toys, go in your room and do it....also when her toys are in here our chihuahua thinks of them as fair game lol so alot of stuffed animals that she's left on the floor in here have met their maker lol

Anyways every once in awhile she still tries to sneak a toy into the living room, and of course she leaves it laying around somewhere and Tobasco (dog) grabs whatever it is and takes off....then I have to hear her crying because he wont give the toy back..then I have to chase the dog down and wrestle it back from him lol...it just becomes this whole big thing...

So...would it be wrong of me to just say "You know your not allowed toys in here, so the next thing you bring in here and Tobasco gets, I'm just going to let him have it"....is that too harsh of a punishment? what would you do? She's 4 yrs old if that matters at all

Thanx mamas!

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 4:02 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sounds like the perfect solution. At 4 she can completely understand those consequences.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:05 PM on May. 17, 2011

• First of all, you shouldn't have to wrestle the dog. Teach him the command "drop it". Very good safety word for your dog to know. Secondly, no I don't believe its too harsh a punishment.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:12 PM on May. 17, 2011

• lol If I find toys outside of the bedroom, they get *one* chance to put it away or I throw it out. I don't think that is harsh at all.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• That's what I do. I allow one or two toys per child out as long as my kid is playing with it at the time and it doesn't leave their fingers, my 5 year old has a tendency of playing by throwing her stuffed animals up in the air and/or will leave them on the couch, the dog would get them and take off which is understandable because he's still a puppy (just a very large one - 74 lbs at 11 months old) so now if he gets a toy it's his. Today he got my 5 year old DD's baseball, I don't even remember her playing with it but the dog can't get into the bedrooms during the day because I keep the doors closed so she must have left it around somewhere and I just told him to have fun with it. Luckily he has learned he isn't allowed to touch the toys in the bedrooms - it took a little bit but he finally caught onto the fact that he doesn't get yelled at for taking toys from the living room but does for taking toys from bedrooms.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 9:32 PM on May. 17, 2011