How do we know who is a false prophet?

I have always been curious about that. How do we know Jesus wasn't? Not saying he was bad or anything but I am just curious on some theories. How do we know Muhammad wasn't?

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 4:03 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well I think like the guy saying Jesus is coming back next week at 6pm is obviously a false prophet. No one knows when the end is going to come. It says so in the Bible. So anyone claiming to know would be a false prophet. Beyond that I guess common sense. If someone is asking you for all your money because a comet is coming to take you away and gives you poison for dinner, then yeah Id say they were also false prophets.

Answer by gemgem at 4:16 PM on May. 17, 2011

• well now... You know as well as I do, that it is subjective to the text in which the prophet is mentioned, the criteria outlining the falsehood of prophetic assertions, then the general discretion of the population who is left to discern the infinite possible interpretations of said criteria.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:16 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I guess that's where faith takes over. If only people didn't let their faith lead them to so much hatred, oppression and killing.

I think anyone claiming to be a religious prophet is a little bit unsound in the head.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 4:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• "It says so in the Bible."

I guess that also covers how we know, for sure, Jesus ISN'T a false prophet. Bible says so!
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 4:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Exactly Obbie and my thinking too is it isn't exactly cut and dry as some would think. I think it is more than "hand me your money" lol
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Anyone that does not fit into X religious belief is a false prophet according to X. Anyone that does not follow belief Y is a false prophet according to Y and so on and so forth.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:00 PM on May. 17, 2011

• We know because he was descended from the line of David.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:05 PM on May. 17, 2011

• the same way i know other things are wrong..i can't shake the bad vibes coming from him/her. if you're best guide is yourself (your conscience), people should listen to themselves more often. if you know that you know that you know, without a doubt, then you know. y'know??
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Also Satan tempted Jesus because he questioned his divinity. When Jesus did not give in to Satan's temptations, Satan knew that he was The Christ.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:25 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I think that really that is a very good question, and I know there are a lot of people more qualified than me to give much more fact-based answered.

For starters, I don't think Jesus was a prophet. I believe him to be the son of God, sent/come as a final atoning sacrifice for mankind.

I know I have studied a lot of the prophecies that Jesus fulfilled, but that is based of a belief in the OT as scripture, and that NT is factual, which has been pointed out is self

Ultimately, for me, it comes down to faith. Which I know sounds like a cop-out answer, and not very helpful. But I do believe what is known as the Old Testament of the Bible to be the word of God - the one God, Jehovah. And from that, I feel that Jesus is who he said he was. He was either God, a madman, or a liar above all liars. And I believe Him to be God.

That's not a good debate type answer. But it is true for me. And since we're not in debate I'll leave it ;)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:39 PM on May. 17, 2011