Trying to potty train my 3 year old son?

My Three year old son understands the potty concept but does not want to take the time to stop and sit on the potty. He just goes in his pants. I am all out of ideas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put him on a 30 min or 1 hour schedule until he listens to his own body cues.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 4:16 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I definitely agree with the intervals. Sometimes they need some time for the head to connect to the body even if mentally they get it, so don't get frustrated. Also remember that toddlers are "busy" so they might just not have the motiviation to take him away from his "work". Try to get him excited by offering a special prize, having new books at the potty, reading to him or showing videos like Elmo's Potty Time, Bear and The Big Blue House Potty edition. Try using biodegradable packing peanuts or cheerios/fruit loops to do target practice standing up. When its his idea and he gets positive reinforcement for it he'll be ready in no time.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:45 PM on May. 17, 2011