Any cupcake mom's out there? Quick question for prep...

I'm making cupcakes for my daughter's girl scout bridging ceremony (She's going from a daisy to a brownie!).

I've decided to make daisy cupcakes by cutting marshmallows into petals. The base of the cupcake I plan to icing with pastel colors, then I'll add the marshmallow petals with a dollop of yellow in the center. I also thought it would be cute to add a M&M ladybug.

The ceremony is Thursday night. My question is....

Could I go ahead and make all the ladybugs tonight? I'm using a toothpick to "paint" on gel icing. The gel icing doesn't harden, and M&M's don't go bad, right? Or will the icing do something weird to the candy?

Could I go ahead and cut the marshmallows and toss them in sugar? I like the look of the sugar coating the petal and it makes them easier to handle. Would they keep in a plastic bag?

Can I do everything tomorrow night and store them in a deep cake pan covered with plastic wrap?

Or should I just plan on putting the cupcakes together the afternoon of the party?

I think they will be really cute, and I wanted to do something a little special since it's a special day. I'd prefer not to screw it up!

mommy2mykidz

Asked by mommy2mykidz at 4:12 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Food & Drink

• You could try making one ladybug and one daisy just to see how they look. If it were me, I'd make the cupcakes the night before and decorate them the morning or afternoon of the party so they will be fresh. Good luck and have fun!
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 5:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Also, if you make the two things today, you can see whether or not they will turn out and whether or not you will need to make adjustments.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 5:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Good point! I'll make up a flower and ladybug tonight to see how they fair overnight, then I'll decide tomorrow whether to decorate the day of or the night before!

Thanks for the reply.
    mommy2mykidz

Comment by mommy2mykidz (original poster) at 6:33 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Marshmallows now. Put all but the ladybugs together tomorrow night. Do the M&Ms Thursday afternoon. Trust me on this one (even though I'm answering anon) - I make enough crazy cupcakes in a year to know what works and what doesn't!
    Anonymous