How do I teach him to "drop it"?

Asked another question about wrestling my DD's toys away from my chihuahua and was told I shouldnt have to go through all that lol....that mama is RIGHT! So what is a quick and easy way to teach him to "drop it"?

Thanx mamas!!

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 4:16 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Pets

• Me again, here's a video showing you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItvPnaYUZeo

It can be a life saving command. So every dog IMO should know it.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:20 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i would exchange what they have in their mouth for another more appealing toy and when they dropped the other toy for the new one say drop it at the same time. after awhile stop offering the new toy and use a treat asking to drop it and give them the treat if they figured it out. i would never wrestle a toy of their mouth. i think it's makes them more possesive. good luck
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:09 AM on May. 18, 2011

• To be completely honest with you I have always said: "Drop It!" with a firm voice and immediately walked over to my dog and opened their mouth and retrieved whatever it was they had. Eventually they learned the meaning of "Drop It"! That works for me. This may or may not be your method of choice. Also I have large dogs and none have ever growled or threatened me in any way while I have done this. I am sure your chihuahua is not aggressive but if she shows any reaction which might concern you then it is definitely worth while to try another method. Just my suggestion. :)

Have a great day!
    SarahFarah

Answer by SarahFarah at 4:33 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I just taught that to our dog recently and in about 5 minutes. I just kept saying DROP IT when I wanted her to drop it.

Consistency is the key.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I would give my dogs a toy they really like, the force their mouth open and take the toy out while saying "drop it" and then, once the toy was out, I gave lots of praise. This method has never failed for me but when I tried the treat method, the dog would often refuse to drop the toy unless I had a treat in my hand.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 6:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Lol thankyou so much SalemWitchChild!
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I agree with melody, I use 2 or 3 toys at a time to teach it. I never chase the dog to retreive something he shouldn't have, instead I find a toy and call the dog to me and have him "drop it" then provide him with the appropriate toy. Chasing the dog can turn into a game for the dog which will prompt him to put more inappropriate items in his mouth to start the game. Good luck!
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 5:42 PM on May. 18, 2011