How to thin out/cut hair?

I have very thick hair, always have. Pregnancies and age didn't thin it out at all like everyone told me they would ... in fact, it's the thickest it's ever been. It's healthy but I have a lot of bulk and need to know what kind of technique/cut may thin it out a bit? I've had layers but they always end up "chunky" because I HAVE A TON OF HAIR! I've had it razored a bit to get some of the weight/heaviness off but it's still not enough. And I've had layers WITH the razor technique and still too much. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Wow i wish I had your problem!! I lost so much hair having my babies enjoy it its much worse to have thin hair & freak out about it! But you can use thinning shears they are made especially for that and when you do it you use them on half of your length not close to the head (scalp) if that makes sense. You were blessed with a head full of thick hair! (Jealous)..... : )
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 4:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• A bob? or "v" cut that is short in the back and longer in the front?
    Anonymous

• you could try razoring and slithering/slicing with a very sharp pair of scissors...and the right/knowledgeable person doing it.too many of the wrong layers will bulk-up a hairstyle and make it appear chunky..again, you want someone who knows what they're doing...ask around, find someone with really thick hair, and see who they go to..if they are happy with their cutter, that is. also, a lot of the smoothing products will help some, too..they tend to 'weigh down' the hair's natural tendency to bump/bulk up into a non-straight texture. which brings me to the next suggestion: straightening, either by chemical or hot tool will make you happier, too. even if you have 'staight' hair, a straightening/flat-iron will make it more so, and it will appear and feel 'thinner'. of course, if you're only using a hot tool, you'll have to use it every time you style your hair to achieve this affect.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:56 PM on May. 17, 2011

• It's more of a bob with slightly angled sides, not v.

I've looked into chemical straightening but am not willing to go that route. I do flat iron (it helps some) every time I wash (3x/week) and have tried a ton of straightening balms out there but haven't been happy with any of them.

Thanks for the suggestions ...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

• try the boy cut is very very short and you can well breath.....
    greens11

Answer by greens11 at 7:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't do short hair; does not look good on me. My hair is just about 2 inches past my shoulder.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

• If you have layers and razored thin you've done the right thing to remove bulk.
    You might want to try Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny system: the shampoo, conditioning treatment, relaxing balm and serum.
    I've worked with people who have had problems managing their thick here and this usually works.
    And if you buy, get it from a salon or professional supply, NOT from a grocery or drug store. Those products are watered down, expired, etc.
    Hopefully this helps!
    MamisAngels

Answer by MamisAngels at 12:59 PM on May. 18, 2011