What do you think of bull riding for a 9yr old child?

my son started riding sheep in rodeos when he was 3
and started riding steers when he was 6 til now
they have horns and its a bit scary but he want to continue doing it.
His dad is a rodeo clown so hes out there when he comes off the bull.
Last year he helped with the mutton busting .. he was our towns first 8yr old rodeo clown
he just loves it.

I'm not sure what to think any more..
what are your thoughts?

EvansMommy31605

Asked by EvansMommy31605 at 5:28 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh geez. Non-rodeo families don't understand the difference between bulls in PBR and bulls in Jr rodeo. They are Jr bulls, and most are so gentle you can pet them like a dog. And FYI, all you ladies who believe they tie their nuts to their bellies are out of your mind.

My oldest is 2, and we have him training his pony. At 3, he will be mutton busting. He will move to calves, steers, then Jr bulls. As long as he likes to, that is.

Don't be afraid, mama. If it hurts him, he'll stop, promise. My Dh went to the college national finals in 08 on bareback horses. It's a blast, and gets super competitive. Looove our lifestyle!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Please don't. It's too dangerous.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Sounds DANGEROUS to me.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:29 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Eh, roll him in bubble-wrap.

Seriously the Jr bulls they use are typically young bulls too small to use for adults, aren't "rank" enough, or are just learning how to buck.

They learn to buck by bucking. The sooner they figure out that whatever is on their back comes off when they buck, the faster they learn how to buck efficiently. Stock contractors don't want to potentially ruin their stock, so they put these younger guys on them. The older guys tend to stay on harder, weigh more, so ultimately, the bull will learn to buck harder as bigger guys come along. Contractors aren't out to get the guys hurt, they're out to 1) make money on stock, 2) teach kids to be confident in the event, 3) take care of their animals.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:53 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Lol, I love rodeo! And being on the contractor end of it, I know the ins and outs.

He'll be fine. He knows his job, and the nest support you can offer him is to stand in the stands and scream, "yeah! Rake that sucker up!"
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:57 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Hmm I dunno. My kids do Muttin Bustin every year for the past couple years but I wouldn't let them do bull riding.
    Mommie-of-2

Answer by Mommie-of-2 at 5:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• its a youth rodeo. and its legal .. i don't care for it.. but i'm just worried .. i don't think i should go to jail for it.. i tell him all the time i don't like it but he wants to do it.. there are more then a dozen kids his age thats been riding with him since he started.
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 5:33 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My husband rode bulls for years .. he was hurt a lot and .. i don't like the idea of him doing it.. i just wanted advice.. not to be told what an awful parent i am. I NEVER PUSH HIM TO DO IT! he also rides dirt bikes and is in a circuit for it. Hes just a tough boy..
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on May. 17, 2011

• oh and he rides horses.. runs with them.. and sings really hi on a swing set.. A child can get hurt walking across the yard!!! i guess i could just put a padding on him and let him walk around so that he will NEVER GET HURT..
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 5:41 PM on May. 17, 2011

• @ Matobe.. you are an awesome person.. and understand what i'm talking about.. most of these people don't understand.. i wouldn't put any of my babies on a monster.. lol.. He loves to do it.. and i'm not going to tell him hes wrong for what he likes.. and yes the bulls he rides he can go in the pin with them and pick the one he wants to ride... its nothing like putting him on a adult bull who is trained to buck. i figured that when he is done he'll stop. in the mean time i'll just bite my nails and stand behind the shoots and wait for him to come out. my 5 year old daughter has been riding horses since she was 2 and she loves it.. their just country kids and enjoy doing what come natural around here. i love love love our life style too! thank you for your comment!
    EvansMommy31605

Comment by EvansMommy31605 (original poster) at 5:50 PM on May. 17, 2011