Writing skills.......

At what age should a child have fine motor skills that are developed enough to trace large outlined letters or shapes? I've been working with my 3 y/o (just turned 3 in April) and she can recognize all of the letters and numbers to 10, so I started to work on tracing them. It's been about a month, and she's still all over the place. Do you think she's just too young, or could there be some fine motor problems? We have a family history of Dysgraphia.

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 5:38 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She is a very young 3. I would give it time. Instead of a pencil and paper, take some sand or shaving cream and let her practice in those. It will literally let her get a feel for how the letter move. I don't think my kids were writing anything recognizable until they were at least 4.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:41 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i think she is fine. Kids develop different things at different stages. I would not worry about it at all.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I wouldn't worry too much about it, she is young but the practice will be good for her. You could start teaching her the sounds of each letter, it is a skill she will need to know to learn to read and is actually much more important than knowing the names of the letters.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• She is still too young to have the coordination to trace perfectly. My dd worked on this in kindergarten. She will get it in time!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 5:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• A montessori school I assisted in when I was a teenager had letter and number shapes that were about 3 inches tall and with a texture like fine sandpaper on them. The children would trace the letters with their fingers and the texture helped reinforce the shape. Maybe you could make some shapes out of cardboard and sandpaper she could play with.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:57 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My son's class is a mix of 3 and 4 yr olds (about half with known developmental delays including fine motor problems). They do work with them on tracing letters but they use a model that's about 8 inches tall and a path to trace within that's about 3/8" wide (i.e. very big). Some kids can trace small letters, some can even draw letters by themselves. As long as your child is progressing with the ability to hold a crayon/pencil correctly and scribble/color with it, I wouldn't worry about.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:05 PM on May. 17, 2011

• She is definitly too young -- My almost 4-year-old is starting to do it now.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:08 AM on May. 18, 2011