How can u get a five year to clean their room???

babygurl2006

Asked by babygurl2006 at 5:45 PM on May. 17, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Positive reinforcement

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• sing a song and clean with them
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i tell him to do it, and he does it.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i would say cookies... yep cookies, but then kinda defeats the purpose because then they get all hyper off the sugar, and destroy another part of the house.
    But seriously, you start them picking up after themselfs as soon as they start crawling/walking.if not, then i would have to go with Butterfly...positive reinforcement.
    nybor48

Answer by nybor48 at 5:50 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I usually just tell him to go clean up his room. Most of the time he does it with no problem's but other times we butt heads over it lol. When that happens I just tell him he needs to clean up his mess or I will start taking stuff away.
    Mommie-of-2

Answer by Mommie-of-2 at 5:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I tell my 4 year old to go pick up her books, she does. Then her dirty laundry, she does. Then the toys into the closet, etc. You tell them to do something and don't accept any mouthing off or backtalk. And, they don't get to do ANYTHING else until they've done what you've told them to do.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:06 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Children these days need to be taught to RESPECT their parents... You probably don't whoop do you?
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 7:46 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My kids started picking up after themselves as soon as they could walk - for my first child that was at 9 months (she'd pick up a wrapper or something from her snack and I'd show her where the trash was and things like that). It's much easier teaching a child as he/she grows up where things belong and how to pick up rather than trying to teach them at 4 or 5, much less conflict. Now when I tell my 6 and 5 year olds to go clean their rooms they do it and I know it will get done without me having to hover. Even my 3 year old twins throw their dirty clothes into the hamper - they think it's fun. For a 5 year old learning to pick up their room I'd go over it a couple times, show him/her exactly where things go and what needs to be done - if they don't do it right or refuse they get a variety of punishments from losing toys and privileges to time out and being grounded.

anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 9:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• by being an adult and taking control of the situation.... positive reinforcement, a strict set of rules and a strict schedule.

JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:08 PM on May. 18, 2011