How many of you are pageant moms?

my girls and i love pageants! we dont do them every weekend or nothing, but we do maybe 4 a year. i have 2 to buy for and its kinda high. so i was just wondering if any of your kids do them. thanks

momof2lildivas

Asked by momof2lildivas at 5:45 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Wow...some of you are misguided on what some pageants are...

I did pageants. Not all are like the morons on TV. No audiences are full of pervs...they like kids that actually look like kids.

No Lady judges are touching themselves and most of the guys there are gay.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I thought about it. But then i realized its more for the moms pleasure then the kids. So i decided not to. Plus watching all the bs that goes down at pageants and making lil girls look like plastic dolls doesnt really make me feel good. I dont think it teaches our daughters anything positive! Just my opinion though, and we all know what opions are like LOL
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 5:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No, I wouldn't want my kids to be around that. I think many pageant moms go cuckoo from inhaling too much hairspray apparently lol
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:50 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My mom put me in one as a kid and then said "never again!"
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 5:51 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't, but one of my really good friends is a top pageant dress/pageant wear designer and several of her kids are/have been in pageants (if for nothing else than for marketing - lol!).

There is such a spectrum of pageants - from high glitz to all natural - and as many types of "pageant moms" as there are kids in pageants. All pageants are not like "Toddlers and Tiaras", and the kids are not all Jon-Bene-esq. I think pageants can be fun for girls who enjoy it, but if my kids *were* interested I could still never see shelling out $500+ for dresses alone (even if she gave me a friend discount) like my friend makes.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 5:53 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I've noticed a number of people have listed pageant outfits/costumes on Craigslist before. Try looking in the children's clothing section. There may also be some pageant websites with classified listings where people sell outgrown gowns. Nice consignment stores might also be a possibility.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 5:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I wanted to be a model when I was a pre-teen and my mom paid all the thousands of dollars to put me thru modeling school and photo shoots, ect. Only to be told later on that they wanted me to lose 5-10 pounds....I was 12 years old and was a stick. It was heartbreaking and I turned my back on all of it and would never put my daughter on stage to be judged like a piece of meat.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Not me. I don't like whoring out my kids for judges who are likely touching themselves under the table. You know they do. Molesters are drawn to places where children gather.
    bishopblack

Answer by bishopblack at 5:48 PM on May. 17, 2011

• BIshop... you rock my socks ;)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 5:50 PM on May. 17, 2011

• my daughter hasn't done a pageant but she is the rodeo princess in our town.. i thought it was fun.. what ever you like to do and enjoy doing with your children go for it.. i'm sure as a mother you know where to draw the line if their in harms way.
    EvansMommy31605

Answer by EvansMommy31605 at 5:55 PM on May. 17, 2011