How accurate is 18 week ultrasound for gender determination?

I'm going to visit one of my best friends in Pennsylvania (about 4 hours away) because her father has been diagnosed with brain cancer, and we would like to see him. I am currently 13 weeks pregnant as of today. I am going to see her June 24th-26th and will be 18 weeks June 21st. I am looking to schedule my ultrasound for Thursday the 23rd, meaning I will be 18 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I am hoping to find out the sex of the baby so that when I go to visit my friend maybe we can do some small shopping. I'm just curious how accurate a gender scan is at this week of gestation? When did YOU find out what you were having? Did you find out at 18 weeks and was it wrong? Just curious. I don't plan on going and buying any big ticket items gender specific, but it would be nice to be able to buy an outfit or too and be fairly sure what I am having.

Thanks in advance!!

marissax

Asked by marissax at 5:46 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's going to be pretty accurate as long as baby cooperates. Two weeks off the usual 20 week ultrasound doesn't make a whole lot of difference. You should be able to tell witihin 95% accuracy.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Should be 99% accurate I found out what my first was at 18 weeks, second at 12 weeks, and third at 20 weeks.
    lilmommy10805

Answer by lilmommy10805 at 7:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• And at 12 weeks they were correct?!
    marissax

Comment by marissax (original poster) at 8:01 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I found out at 16 with first and 18 on second.
    saysmom

Answer by saysmom at 10:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i was 16wks3days when i found out=)
    prdVirgobby

Answer by prdVirgobby at 1:11 AM on May. 18, 2011