Doctors orders

Do you follow things pretty much how your ped or dr recommend, or do you do what works best for you and that particular child?

Jenn5142

Asked by Jenn5142 at 5:56 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do what I feel is right. Most of the time it was exactly opposite of what the dr said, and my kids are perfectly healthy!
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 5:58 PM on May. 17, 2011

• pretty much..both. it depends on the situation. parental responsibility calls for action and discernment for what is 'right' for your child. i know my child better than the pediatrician does...for the most part, he only knows 'textbook' and what he sees on occasional visits.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:58 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I completely follow my motherly instincts. My daughter has had to see alot of specialists, and I have NOT been impressed by what they have to say. I decided to do things my way, and it has been working so much better!!!
    Jenn5142

Comment by Jenn5142 (original poster) at 6:05 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't usually go to the doc until I've exhausted all my "Dr. Mom" resources when trying to get my kids better.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:16 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Both. I found a pediatrician for my kids who believes in the same things I do. I wouldn't go to a dr I didn't trust!

Answer by missanc at 7:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• That depends how serious the issue. If a Dr. tells me to give an antibiotic until it's gone, I listen. If they tell me my dd should have gotten rid of her paci by 12 months I take it with a grain of salt. I think Mommy instincts trump everything else is 90% of cases though, but if it came to a serious medical issue I would listen to medical advice and/or seek a second opinion.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:58 PM on May. 17, 2011

• There is no such thing as motherly instincts in humans. We can't even give birth or breastfeed without assistance.

Doctors give advice about things they may have had little or no training. Most doctors get a few hours training about breastfeeding, if any. They don't get extensive training in parenting. They often work long hours and have their own families. They don't have time to become experts about everything.

If your doctor is giving you advice you know is wrong, time to find a new doctor!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:28 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I do what's the best for my son. Of course if my son is sick or need vaccination I trust my pedi. She told us to start solid at 5 months, but we hold off till he's 6 months. So it's really depends on the situation. Do what you think it's right for your baby.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:46 PM on May. 17, 2011