Why be offended by what others make???? (income related)

There was a question in this section asking how much other people's husbands make. Why would anyone be offended by that question... when asked here?

I understand how it would be offensive in real life if someone asked... but in this forum why would it be offensive?

Im under no delusions that there are MANY MANY MANY people out in the world that make more than us.. there are also people who make less than us. So what would be offensive???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• I answered, I have zero problem saying what dh makes because we live very comfortably on $60,000 bc we have no debt, house is paid off, cars are too... IMO, why was the question asked? What was the point? None really.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:13 PM on May. 17, 2011

• probably curiosity sake. I have never posted a question like that but am always interested to see what others answer. I also find it amazing how much homes cost in different areas.

Also the op said she was a sahm... so perhaps she was curious what others live off.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I'm not offended by what people make but money is one of those touchy subjects. It really isn't my business what someone else makes and it's no one elses business as to what we make.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:22 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I don't understand getting offended by this question because what a person makes really doesn't tell you squat ... I've known folks who make $500,000/yr. and have nothing to show for it and others who live on less than 1/10th of that and have a lot socked away in savings because they've been frugal with their money. It is a private subject (I believe) to a degree. I have no problem speaking about it here because none of you knows who I am. In real life, though, I don't discuss $ with anybody but my husband.
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with it. I have friends who make millions (literally) and I know others who dont work at all. People make different incomes all over.
    Ashley-England

Answer by Ashley-England at 6:47 PM on May. 17, 2011

• People get offended over everything these days. They were not forced to respond, they were not obligated to tell us what they live on. I saw the question and didn't answer. We all have that choice.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:56 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I think some people just like to get worked up over stuff. If you don't like the question, don't answer it
    jllcali

Answer by jllcali at 9:11 AM on May. 18, 2011

• It's not particularly helpful to club mom readers as a whole. Salary numbers are easily found on government websites, by job category, region, household, education, age bracket, and race.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:22 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I always shy away from those questions because you never know who is fishing for information. You want to know who has enough money so you can what get them to send money to Nigeria, kidnap their children? Really people post way too much personal information on the internet that could come back to bite them in the butt. Not everybody is just curious. Some are looking for a patsy. I'm not offended by a question like that, but it does want to make me scream why would you give out that kind of information to strangers. Did you know there is a scam now where the scammer calls up saying, "Grandma, I'm in Canada and I've been arrested. I don't want to tell my parents, please wire money to..." And guess what it isn't your grandchild, but they sure found plenty of accurate information about you somewhere!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:40 AM on May. 18, 2011

• That would be under the category - NDB (nobody's damn business).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:55 PM on May. 18, 2011