Diet food for a 2 yr old.?

Yesterday I took my son to the ER cuz he haves trouble breathing from his nose and he only breaths from his mouth. They said my son is overweight and he haves ear infections and his tonsils are big and swollen. I need to know what kind of diet can I put my son? like what kind of food does he need to eat? I never had to do this but this is the best for my son to be healthy. My son weights 43pounds and the doc said he is overweight and that for his age he needs to weight 25pounds. Plse help me!

Espinosa

Asked by Espinosa at 6:06 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• what does your pediatrician say? does he drink a lot of sugared juices/drinks? whole milk? high-sugared or processed foods? is he active at all? you can't put a child that young on a 'diet'..you can monitor what and how much they eat, and make sure they are eating the right foods/drinks.
    certain 'wrong' foods can become a habitual, just like with an adult. you're the parent and can, at this point, control what he eats/drinks.
    you need to talk to your pediatrician.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:09 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Eliminate ALL junk food/soda/juice/candy from his diet and feed him healthy food

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:09 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Lots of fruits and veggies. Lean cuts of meats. Whole grains. Water instead of juice. Stay away from processed foods (chicken nuggets, hot dogs, cookies, etc...). Find ways to make lower calorie alternatives to some of his favorite foods. And make sure he gets plenty of opportunities to run around and exercise.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:10 PM on May. 17, 2011

• 2 yr olds don't need diets per se. They need only healthy choices. No more fast food, refined flours and sugars need to be gone from his diet. Lots of fruits and vegatables, whole grains. Switch to unsweetened almond milk. It had all the nutrition of milk with half the fat and calories. Candy, ice cream, cookies, aqll should be rare, treats. My grandsons dietician encourages them no more than twice a month. Portion control is also important.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:11 PM on May. 17, 2011

• He shd b having 3 servings of dairy or milk
    3-4 servings of carbs
    3-4 servings of fruits/veggies
    1 animal protein/ 2 veg protein serving
    This is in a day. I use a book, superfoods for babies. Helps out
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:13 PM on May. 17, 2011

• MY son drinks whole milk and Juice and water. sometimes I will give sprite. My son is alitlle chunky but not alot and I take him for walks. But this is the thing everytime I take him to the pediatrician they dont say nothing abt his weight and yesterday the ER pple were saying he is way to fat for his age.
    Espinosa

Comment by Espinosa (original poster) at 6:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• How tall is he? That plays a part in it too.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 6:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My son was two years old and he weighed 47 pounds but he started out at ten pounds. It turned out he had milk alergies or rather dairy allergies. This changed when we found out he switched to soy and started to lose weight food allergies can sometimes make you overweight to it could also be gluten you should have your doctor check him for all of it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:10 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i would take him to his doc and ask them, they know him better than the er. then ask him a foodplan for ur son.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 9:11 PM on May. 17, 2011

• well, i think 25 lbs. would be really low unless he's on the short side. a good weight would be about equal to his height in inches (example if he's 30 inches tall....around 30 lbs. would be a good weight). if you want to give him a special treat to drink, let him have some aquafina flavor water....change to skim milk, either dilute the juice 50/50 with water, or 6oz. of 100% pure fruit juice a day. if he eats white bread, switch to the wonderbread smartwhite which has more fiber. instead of sweets he can have fresh fruit. instead of frying foods, grill or bake them. instead of using butter (for grilled cheese or toast, etc.) use the 'i can't believe it's not butter spray'....i love that lol. gl, and like the other ladies said don't get too worked up about it until you talk to his pediatrician.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:13 PM on May. 17, 2011