Have you ever used anti depressants?

I started on some a couple weeks ago and I think they are working.

What are your thoughts/experiences on anti depressants?

vjoaquin

Asked by vjoaquin at 6:11 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Health

• no..but i've considered it. if only...the people close to me who do use them didn't seem so loopy and space-y...i don't like that.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:13 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I had prozac for PPD. They worked within days of taking them, but I quickly built a tolerance to them. I kept getting the dosage upped, and would still build up a tolerance within weeks. I just quit taking them.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 6:14 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have no personal experience in that I have never taken them but I have researched extensively on the topic (family members are prescribed these medications) and I am convinced they have no business being prescribed for anyone. They are dangerous and unproven in their efficacy.
    Anonymous

• I never spaced out. I felt amazing, when they worked.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 6:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• The same can be said for any medication.
    mrsziemann

• yes, and they have helped me live a better and more stable life
    happymom8262

Answer by happymom8262 at 6:15 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I was on cymbalta n it helped me so much. My emotions were up n down n I was able to feel good without a huge drop. Coupled w therapy, it works. I don't recommend depending on them for the rest of ur life.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Some tips that I'd recommend (I've been on meds for a while now!): trust what your mind and body are telling you, if something doesn't seem right, speak up and talk with your doctor, preferably a psychiatrist if you are just starting out on any meds for mental illness.Do your homework about the med(s) you take...ignorance IS NOT bliss in this department! Don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions, maybe write them down ahead of time to make sure you cover everything. If you are unhappy with your doctor or want a second opinion, by all means do it; you don't want to waste your time with a doctor who is not on the same page with you about your health. If at any point you believe you need an increase in your dosage or that a specific med is not working effectively, go to your doctor immediately. And to wrap things up, meds can be a huge help, but it is not a magic pill and it cannot make your illness disappear! Keep up fight!
    Shellbell001

Answer by Shellbell001 at 6:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I was put on them bc after my miscarriage and having to comfort everyone else with the loss it took a toll on me. I am trying to find therapy that accepts my insurance.
    vjoaquin

Comment by vjoaquin (original poster) at 6:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I gave up the meds, and going to therapy every couple weeks. I have to learn to talk it out. The meds didn't do anything except mask the problem, and have a ton of side effects. I couldn't take feeling like a zombie, so no more meds for me.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:39 PM on May. 17, 2011