Help us decide on a kitten!

We are adding a kitten to our family and we have two options...

The first kitten is an orange male, and it looks like he MIGHT be long haired (which could be a problem with my husband's allergies); I plan to call tomorrow to confirm this. He is 7 weeks old and we would have to drive about 45 minutes to go pick him up. He's $5.

The second kitten is a female brown tabby who is noticeably short-haired (better for dh's allergies). She is 8 weeks old and we would have to drive an hour to get her. She's free.

I have owned a few cats growing up and always found males to be more affectionate, although, after researching it online I have discovered it just depends on the cat itself and how it's raised. Also, I know some breeds are better with children, but again, it can purely depend on it's raised.

If you were in my position, which would you want?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 6:15 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I'm partial to orange ones. I have 2 orange tabby males

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Sounds like u wanna go w the first one but if hubbys gonna have a hard time w his allergies go for the 2nd
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:18 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I'm partial to long haired kittens ... we've always had persians and himalayans.
    Anonymous

• Since your hubby has issues with long fur I would choose the shorthaired.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 6:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Go rescue one from the local shelter, I know that here in Miami, they kill them on a daily basis, even the kitties. Find yourself and all white one, they are so beautiful!

Answer by older at 6:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• well thats easy.. GO WITH THE FEMAle ... if u getting the male would make ur husbands allergies act up then dont get him. plus they spray everything if they arent fixed.. def the female
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 6:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Male, cheaper to fix, with less chances of getting cancer. And its been my experience the males are more affectionate.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 6:26 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Male or female really doesn't matter as far as being affectionate or not. I have a female calico who is fixed and she is the most loving and gentle cat ever. I have a neutered male and while he loves me and my daughter very much he is very big on his personal space. I have mild allergies to my cats and have both a short-hair and a long-haired cat and it does not seem to make a difference for me. Males are great as long as they are neutered :)
    cowboysgirl3227

Answer by cowboysgirl3227 at 6:27 PM on May. 17, 2011