Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How do you help someone who's going through a breakup?

My friend and my dh's friend had been dating for more than 5 years and were recently engaged. My bff just broke off the relationship and is not going back. I checked my facebook and he has about 20 or more post relating to suicide. How can I help?

Answer Question

Asked by Gelijones at 6:28 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Relationships

Level 3 (12 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Offer the best advice and let him know you are there for him if he needs you.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:31 PM on May. 17, 2011

  • dito to virginiamama71

    Answer by happymama02 at 6:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

  • Offer him professional help. This is serious!

    Answer by Vero0724 at 6:33 PM on May. 17, 2011

  • Send your husb over there right away to see how he's doing. That's an extreme reaction to a break up. Do you know any of this family you could contact w/ your concerns? Being a good friend, being there for them with a strong shoulder to cry on is what most situations like this call for. But this guy sounds very distraught & in possible need of professional help if he is suicidal. GL to all.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

  • You need to be on her side no matter what. Support her decision. He could be trying to manipulate her into coming back. Most people that are seriously suicidal don't post it on facebook. I have a tradition for my friends break ups. I show up at thier house with 'bridget jones' and two bottles of wine. We spend the night bashing thier ex and it usually turns into a sleep over. Good luck.

    Answer by Ms.Gwen at 6:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

  • My friend thinks he's using this to manipulate her. But I don't think so. He is a quiet kind of person and to see all that activity on his FB is out of the ordinary. Is there someone that will call him to talk to him. He will not seek any help and dh has already spent most of the day with him yesterday to be a listening ear. He's pretty depressed

    Comment by Gelijones (original poster) at 6:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

  • We posted about the same time Ms Gwen. That's the same thing my friend said. I feel really bad for him

    Comment by Gelijones (original poster) at 6:39 PM on May. 17, 2011

  • Be supportive and as positive as possible. Is he a believer (Christian) ? If so, try to find bible versus or song to take his mind off of the break up.

    Answer by KarenAbr at 6:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

  • Refer him to a suicide prevention hotline if he can't afford professional help. What the other moms said is good. Be positive and give as much good advice as you can.

    Answer by SMITxsM2 at 7:08 PM on May. 17, 2011

  • I'd call a Suicide Hotline and send them to help him. I'd tell them to check out his FB posts

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:10 PM on May. 17, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.