Would you let your kids have their rooms upstairs and your room down stairs?

i don't like the idea of it but i only have 3 rooms up stairs and 3 down stairs and going to have another child ..
what should i do?
i don't want them on either floor with out me.
age 9, 6,5

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Thats exactly how our house is set up and I LOVE it. I didnt think I would at first but it was/is great. Two of mine have since moved out on their own but when we first moved in they (older kids) were all upstairs, and the little kids were in what became our "nursery" room. It isnt really a nursery its for the small kids anyone under 5 stays down stairs.
    We had a blast setting up the upstairs. The kids got neon signs, favorite posters, and they had their own space. Me and my dh had our own space down stairs, and the smaller kids had theirs.

Answer by gemgem at 6:46 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Without knowing the sexes of your children, I can only say, that maybe combining the same sex siblings in a room & allowing the baby to be in your room for a few months will buy you some time until you can figure it out. If you do have to be on sep. floors, please get a working smoke detector for each bedroom. It will put your mind at ease. GL w/ the new arrangements & the new litte one! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:44 PM on May. 17, 2011

• YES YES YES.... but mine are teenagers.

now being that they are teenagers i would NOT want them down while Im up
    Anonymous

• Depends on the maturity of your children, I'd think the 9 year old would be ok but 6 and 5 are iffy years (I should know, my daughters are 6 and 5) - sometimes perfect angels that don't get into stuff and sometimes they can make a room look like a natural disaster (at least mine do). If it were me and my kids I would trust my 5 year old before my 6 year old; my 5 year old will usually come crawl into bed with me if she wakes up early or in the middle of the night. My 6 year old on the other hand will get up (often wake up her sister) and get into stuff.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 8:32 PM on May. 17, 2011

• ds/6 playroom is upstairs, and he does have a sofa-bed we use when he has a sleepover. otherwise, he sleeps in his bedroom downstairs, down the hall from our bedroom.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:44 PM on May. 17, 2011

• We had this growing up and the only thing I will say is that older kids should be upstairs with parents down! My parents were upstairs and eldest brother down and he used to sneak out all the time! LOL
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 6:48 PM on May. 17, 2011

• We had three bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs. My parents had the downstairs room, and we were all upstairs. It worked out just fine. Try not to worry too much, although I do the same thing. I worry about fires or break ins even though right now we are in a one story...there are 2 doors and 4 rooms between me and my kids at night.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:00 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Yes I have. Well, my dad's room was also upstairs but he had little to do with the kids. My 3 older kids shared the upstairs room for a few years. They were 7, 6 and 5 (2 girls and a boy) and they had one big room together while I had a small room on the main floor and my 1yo had a room across the hall.

Years before that the kids had the downstairs room while I was upstairs. They were only babies/toddlers at the time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• The baby would be in my room at night and I would have a downstairs nursery for during the day. I wouldn't have any of my kids sleep on a different floor than I did.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:45 PM on May. 17, 2011