What's the difference between "arts" and "crafts"?

Is it functionality?

Is it "high" vs. "low"?

Is it price?

What do you think?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I had an art teacher who said art existed solely for the sake of art whereas crafts were art with function. So, a piece of pottery used as a vase is a craft, etc. Under her definition, though, a Frank Lloyd Wright home would also be a craft as opposed to art and I beg to differ.
    dsteiner23

Answer by dsteiner23 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2008

• From The Hubs (who is quite artsy):

"Crafts are more like basket weaving, and using paper and glue and stuff... arts are with like paint and metal."

There, does that help?
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 6:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• haha...this Q made me think of my sister. When she was 2 she called it the "hearts and crabs" store! We still call it Hearts and crabs!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i agree with jellyphish, when i think of arts i think of expensive paintings and sculpters. and crafts i think of knitting, beading . or think of it this way arts are a career and crafts are a hobby
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• I think crafts can be art but art is rarely crafts...does this make any sense?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:52 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Art serves no function (usually) except beautiful to look at and be inspired... a craft is a functional art.
    dk
    deenakate

Answer by deenakate at 6:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009