Help I need some advice plz

IDK what to do. My 2 year old daughter will not stop eating. She gets 3 meals a day and snacks. But for months she has gotten worse. I have 2 other children as well a 4 year old and a 5 month old. Its seems I use all my energy to keep my 2 year old out of the fridge, she climbs on chairs to get in the cabinets to get food. I cant begin to list everything she has got into today. She eats so much Im surprised she doesnt get sick. And when I get her out of the cabnits she screams bloody murder. She cant be hungry I mean there is no way, but yet we go through this day in and day out. I am to the point where I am wondering if I am going to have to lock my fridge etc. This isnt good for her. And I dont know what to do. I asked my doctor and he says kids will be kids, that she will grow out of it. But months later her we are and the situation is getting worse. I love my kids to death and want to see them live healthy lifes. But I am scared for my 2 year old the weight gain and all is 2 much. IDK what to do any advice would be great. All I can get from her doc is she will grow out of it. And all i can think of is when? When she is twice the size she should be. I am so tired and I feel so bad having to tell her no but enough is enough.

piorkowski

Asked by piorkowski at 6:50 PM on May. 17, 2011 in General Parenting

• Is she overweight real bad?
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 6:51 PM on May. 17, 2011

• She looks chunky. For her age I believe she is. She is about the same as her 4 year old sister
    piorkowski

Comment by piorkowski (original poster) at 6:54 PM on May. 17, 2011

• You need to get a second opinion. Someone who will take you serious and at least investigate to find out if there is a medical reason for this.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I agree get a second opinion even if that means switching dr. Go with your gut momma! GL
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 7:03 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Thanks so much IDK what to do. It feels really bad to have to tie a bag around the fridge handles to keep her out. I offer bananas, apples, oranges, grapes, cheese, yougurt. I dont keep much junk in our house being as my husband and I are trying to drop a few pounds to. My husband works all day so he doesnt see what its like. I have tried putting up a baby gate to keep her out of there, she just knocks it over. Im at a loss I really am. I am so scared for her.
    piorkowski

Comment by piorkowski (original poster) at 7:13 PM on May. 17, 2011

• has she always been likethis? or is this something new? She may be going through a growth sprut
    timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 7:17 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I thought that to but this has been going on for at least 6 months. If you add it up she matches me in food if not more. This never happened with my oldest. Growths spurts yes she would eat more for 2 or 3 weeks, but not 6 months or longer and not in such massive ammounts.
    piorkowski

Comment by piorkowski (original poster) at 7:33 PM on May. 17, 2011

• And the fits she throws over foods are insane. Hit, scream, kick, telling her no is all out war. But thats what I have been doing. Its to the point that tonight I am packing up what little junk we have in the house and donating it. Then only thing I can think of is to only let her have a certain ammount and no more. When we go to the park she would much rather sit and eat rather than play. I am gonna do some research online and see what I can come up with. All of this makes my head hurt. As well as my heart. Im not one to throw food at my kids to keep them quiet. They get there 3 meals and they get 2-3 snacks. The 4 year old has no issues with this sometimes she chooses not to have her snack. Where as the 2 year old will eat all of that and then wage war all day trying to get her hands on anything she can eat.
    piorkowski

Comment by piorkowski (original poster) at 7:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Sounds like you're just going to have to play "mean mommy" but for her own good. Hope you can figure it out!
    1stTimeMama2010

Answer by 1stTimeMama2010 at 8:06 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Definetly get a second opinion, if she goes for tests and there isn't something physically wrong with her you just may have to get locks for the fridge and cabinets. My 6 year old DD isn't as severe as yours but I worry about her too. I was overweight in my mid- to late-teens and it was horrible, I never want my kids to go through that for even a short period of time so even with three meals a day and healthy snack my DD will claim she's hungry (sometimes starving) every half an hour to hour. I always tell her no and after a brief tantrum she moves on, though she will occasionally sneak into the fridge and pantry she knows she gets punished for it because she was told no.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 8:28 PM on May. 17, 2011