Do you make a budget and stick to it every week/month?

I am trying to get a handle on my finances. I know it would help if I made a budget, but don't. How do you make a budget and stick to it?

3mom627

Asked by 3mom627 at 7:07 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• Budgets are hard for me to stick with. But good luck to you.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:09 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I have a budget but somehow it always gets blown to pieces.

Answer by gemgem at 7:10 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Yep, we have to. I live on 600 a month. We plan out meals and buy exactly what it takes to make meals and snacks. We avoid going to Walmart when we need to buy food and try to go somewhere less compulsive like Safeway or Brookshires.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do! It's hard work and discipline. I found that I do better when an envelope type system and use REAL cash!! (No plastic-even if it's a debt card). If $100 is my grocery budget then $100 gets put in my grocery envelope. If I don't have any more money in my grocery envelope then I can't spend any more money!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:20 PM on May. 17, 2011

• For the most part, we do. It is hard though at times.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:00 PM on May. 17, 2011

• no, but i should
    jllcali

Answer by jllcali at 9:08 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes. We have to.

We found it really helped to start by tracking our expenses, every penny, for a month. From there we figured where we should and could cut back. Figure in less frequent expenses (like inurance premiums). Be realistic about what we take in and line up the categories under that amount. It helped to budget an emergency fund that we only really use for emergencies. It helps to have long term savings goals. It helps to use only cash,as someone else mentioned, if we have a tendency to overspend. It helped to have a small amount of personal "Blow" money. When we found money was still tight, it helped to not eat out, have cable, cell phone plans, extras on car insurance, manicures. If you find you're still in a bind, be honest about your options. Find less expensive housing, use as little utilities as possible.

A budget is a plan. It's telling your money where to go, not asking it where it went..
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:09 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I call it "holding my feet to the fire" and so far so good.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:54 PM on May. 18, 2011

• Yes we make a budget- and we sorta stick to it. I say sorta, because sometimes mid-month we change the budget. Like this month we decided last minute to go to our nieces graduation party and we'll need more fuel money. So we've changed the budget. But I guess we stick to it in the sense that it's always in the budget before we do something.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:02 PM on May. 18, 2011