I think my 3 yr old has excema - putting Cortizone 10 for Excema on it, but she cries and says it's painful... am I wrong? Is it not excema??

Should Cortizone HURT? Since she was a baby it seems every time it starts getting warm out, and she's been in water, she gets dry, red patches of skin. I thought it was heat rash but it starts in places that aren't "creases", like last year it started on her left chest area and this year it started on her right shoulderblade, and it "moves"... it clears up but it appears on other parts of her body as the first places clear up. It gets REALLY red after she gets out of the bath. Here's a pic:

I know it's blurry but now it's worse, and every time I put that medicine on there she cries & says it hurts. :( Is this excema?? I never had it, but her grandma did and she says she thinks it is. :( What do I do?

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 7:17 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If the skin is open,yes,it may hurt

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• it probably is. my lil boy said the same thing when we first started putting eucerin on it. it cleared it up but it comes back and now when we put it on he doesnt say it hurts. so i would say initially maybe it does hurt.
    dramaMama407

Answer by dramaMama407 at 7:19 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I would drop the cortizone, ank keep it moisturized with Lubriderm, Sarna, or just a light layer of petroleum jelly. Let it heal.

Sorry mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:20 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I found a cream at walmart called Triple Paste creme for eczema in 2 days my daughters skin stared to clear and in 4 it was totally gone it has worked wonders. While she sleep try using Aleo vera plant on it  works for us good luck mommas

timbrikaylamom

Answer by timbrikaylamom at 7:31 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My son says it hurts too, I just wish he could grow out of it already!!! I HATE it for him!!!!!
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 7:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

• It almost looks like ringworm because of the circles. I would take her to the dr or ask a pharmacist at your local drug store. They would know and could give you advice on what to use.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 7:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• my son used to get excema all the time (and still does from time to time). The doctor used to have me use Eucrin cream (not lotion), and I also find that cocoa butter helped him. But I think sometimes the creams burn becuase they have been scratching so much that the skin is broken. When it got that bad the only thing that worked for my son was a prescription.
    Tam_and_Fam

Answer by Tam_and_Fam at 8:09 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My daughter and I both get eczema. She was a baby when she got it but I get it several times per year. I find it gets worse when I use lotions with lots of chemicals. Eucerin burned especially. I've tried so many things over the years. The only thing I found that has worked without burning or irritation is a thick creamy body butter from www.zosimosbotanicals.com
    Nutball3

Answer by Nutball3 at 8:43 PM on May. 17, 2011

• unfortunately eczema is more or less a life long condition. Yeah it can decrease over time, but you can still get the occasional breakout even as an adult. Yes cortizone hurts. Most medications for it do when it's flared up. Try Aveeno Eczema therapy lotion or even Noxzema. But yes take her to the doctor first and find out for sure that eczema is what you are dealing with. They can prescribe something or at least make recommendations.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:33 AM on May. 18, 2011

• Looks like eczema to me. My son had it real bad and I found the best thing for was Eucerin. It helps! And it will probably clear up a lot when the weather is warmer, Dry air and layers of clothes make it worse. I have gas heat and it its terrible!
    younginx2

Answer by younginx2 at 10:56 AM on May. 18, 2011