Delayed Vaccination?

We refused the Hep B in the hospital when Baby was born, but we're now scheduled to get his first round of vaccinations at 8 weeks.

What are your opinions about delaying a baby's first round of vaccination until age 3 or 4 months?

Are there any pros or cons you can think of?

GoodyBrook

Asked by GoodyBrook at 7:18 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would get the vaccines just because babies are not around alot people does not mean they are safe. They have no immunity except what they get from breastmilk, intill 3 months they do not produce their own antibodies. and the vaccines protect the baby from serious illness that could kill a baby. They are less deaths in infants due to illness for a reason and thats because the advances of vaccines
    NurseKlein

Answer by NurseKlein at 5:35 PM on May. 19, 2011

• The problem with the pertussis is that it is the part of the vaccine that causes the most side effects. Mass immunization is good for society but it may not be good for the individual. If enough people are immunized then the disease disappears or becomes rare. Public health people are encouraging the pertussis with scare tactics for the benefit of society. If the people your baby is exposed to are not at risk for pertussis then your baby will not benefit. If the baby is around other children or adults that aren't immunized and work in high risk jobs (health care, day care, schools, ect.) then it may benefit your baby.

I waited until my children were around 12 months to do any immunizations.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• At that age they aren't even exposed to many people, so i think it would be ok.
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 7:24 PM on May. 17, 2011

• depends really. its up to you. i do not even remember what the vax was for that age. so usually the first round its easy to delay because they are not really near that many people.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

• When my DD was an infant I wanted her to have the pertussis vaccinations because I felt that was something she could be exposed to, as opposed to polio for example. And I know pertussis is back and if contracted by an infant can be very serious. My doctor also recommended we make another vaccine a priority, I think it was the Hib. So we started with those three and we didn't give her more than two vaccines at a time. That's what I felt comfortable with but every parent has to research and decide what works for them.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:55 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Before giving any vaccinations you need to do your research and be fully informed. Check the link below for a sheet to help you do some research. IMO pertussis is about the only thing they really need and that is only under the age of about 12 months old, but that vaccination was also the one that scared me the most after I did my research.  This is a very personal decision that you need to make for your family.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1444732/To_Vaccinate_or_Not_to_Vaccinate

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1487524/Selective_Vaccination_Schedule

The second is a link to a selective vaccination schedule to help you out if that is the route you chose.

aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:21 PM on May. 17, 2011

• You can delay if you like, but I don't see why. The shots are giving them immunity and prohibit your baby from getting it. I don't want to wait, b/c I don't want them to contract anything during that age. They have a vaccination schedule for a reason. Kids liek to grab anything and put into their mouth, and not knowing what's dirty or not. If baby contracted hepb it usually become chronic and there's no cure, I'm not going to put my son into that risk. Ultimately the decision is on you, since you are the mom.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 10:17 PM on May. 17, 2011