May is Mental Illness Awareness Month...How Do You View Mental Illness??

Getting rid of the stigma first begins with open and honest dialogue...1 in 3 persons struggle with a mental illness, silence only covers up the problem!

Shellbell001

Asked by Shellbell001 at 7:22 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Health

• I'm clinically depressed, and have been since my abandonment issues set in at age 6-7ish. It runs down my mom's side of the family while severe anger issues runs down the length of my dad's side. People need to know the signs so they can diagnose things early, and start trying to treat it (with or without medications).
    My cousin is ADD & ADHD, but I think he may have slight depression as well (unsure, I'm not his doctors).
    I refuse to accept mental illness as an excuse for everything; I've known people who use their illness to get out of every bit of responsibility they are given, which is unacceptable.
    The first step for me, as a teen when it seriously hit me harder than any other time in my life, was to admit that I wasn't the same as everyone else; I had/have an illness, and others are ignorant and will just say "suck it up, its not that bad", well it is. I also had to find ways to take my mind off things; exercise
    M.Galvan

Answer by M.Galvan at 9:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I couldn't agree more!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 7:25 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I just know people mental illness does not stop me from knowing them.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:26 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I am mentally ill and most of my family suffers from it genetically from chemical imbalances.. its a terrible struggle
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 7:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• im consider mentally ill after being diagnosed with postpartum depression and post traumatic stress disorder in 07. some of my family knew from the start that i was suffering however hubbys family just started knowing in the last yr. i think that some people view it as something that people just one day decide to be. one of my doctors told me that my fibromayalgia was just depression.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 7:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• My grandmother is paranoid schizophrenic, which has made all of my family hyper vigilant to the signs of depression and other mental issues. Taking care of her all my life has prepared me for now caring for my 7yr old stepson, who is bi polar and probably schizophrenic, My kids are being taught to know the signs of mental illness and how to help if they can in a crisis situation
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 7:43 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I've suffered from clinical depression since age 9. Being diagnosed at an early age was tough because kids just didn't understand and actually called me crazy and would be horribly mean to me. I think it's a shame that more isn't being taught about depression and other types of mental illness. Because it runs strongly on both sides.. I have to be on the lookout with my children as well.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 7:50 PM on May. 17, 2011

• The hard thing about a mental illness is people say, "You don't look sick."

AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 9:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

• The problem I have is when someone who's mentally ill and they refuse to get help for it or to follow any sort of treatment plan (I get that they don't always work, and that it could take awhile to find one that does, so I'm not saying follow one blindly). This is NOT a bash on anyone who struggles with it, or who doesn't know there's something wrong. I'm speaking as a person who has had loved ones who have struggled with mental illness and who KNEW it and the pain and suffering that their choosing to ignore it caused us (especially when there are kids involved). That can be very frustrating, and it's hard for me to have patience with that.

However, it's the same sort of frustration I would have with a loved one who, say, had a treatable form of cancer, but chose to ignore it and die, leaving orphans behind...

There's no stigma to needing help. There's a problem when you know you need help, and refuse to get it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:43 PM on May. 17, 2011

• M.Galvin -

Thank you for what you wrote - you put what I was trying to say very well! It is a real, physical issue that people have, and it should be acknowledged and treated as such.

But it's not an excuse to be able to get out of all responsibility, to cause harm to your loved ones, etc.

(For example, my mother struggled with depression for years, sometimes she was in therapy, and she tried to kill herself more than once. She knew she needed help, she admitted that she knew this - during the time this was going on and since then. There were a lot of other issues, and her choice to ignore it put us through hell growing up. When she finally decided to deal with it - literally decades later - her life - and those around her - got a lot better.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:50 PM on May. 17, 2011