my daughter has a bad diaper rash and i think the desitin is just making it worse!! any ideas to help me get thru the weekend?

shellie66

Asked by shellie66 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 6, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Take the diaper off, wipe her with a soft washcloth and warm water. If you are going somewhere and have to put the diaper on her make sure she is dry and then try some A&D ointment. My daughter has sensitive skin and had the same problem with desitin. But really, airing it out and losing the wipes until it is over will help a lot. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Try using sensitive skin wipes in the mean time, i preferable can't stand desitin, it doesn't help my daughter either. i use Baby Aquaphor from Eucerin healing ointment- advanced therapy. It's AMAZING

ashcoyle

Answer by ashcoyle at 6:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Let her lay on a towel for a while without a diaper after a bath, the use boudreaux butt paste {if you don't have that where you live a&d works good.
    i use to let my girls lay out for bout an hour with no diaper on. lol..just watch out or poop.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 6:49 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• It may be the desitin, or it may be the moisture. Diaper rash creams lock in any moisture on their little tushy's, which can make the rash worse. You can dry it well with a soft cloth, or blow dry it. Then apply the diaper rash cream. Other then that here are my remedies.
    1. Sun her butt. I know it sounds corny, but the vitamins in sunlight help. 1 minutes a day do wonders.
    2. Baths. They get you cleaner. Try adding a little baking soda to the water, I don't know why but it works.
    firstimemom4049

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• 3. Avoid feeding her spicy / citrusy things. Stick to bland. If you are nursing, you stick to bland AND avoid drinking anything but water. I know it sucks but juices can make the rash worse, as can caffeine, milk, anything that could cause allergies.
    4. Try switching her diaper and / or diaper rash cream. Try Aveeno, it has less additives. Try either an unscented diaper, or a more expensive one. My son is allergic to everything but Pampers.
    If you have any more questions feel free to pm me, I have LOTS of experience with this thanks to my son.
    firstimemom4049

• it could be a yeast infection sometimes they look like a diaper rash but its not put some corn starch on her it will help
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• The old fashion petroleum gel (Vaseline) could be all it takes. Even once the diaper rash goes away, its good to use as a protective barrier to prevent the rash to come back.
    MarieEve

Answer by MarieEve at 7:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i agree with someone else who suggested "air her out" no diaper for a while.. I do it every few days to prevent it. I also use Aveeno diaper creme if there happens to be a problem it worked but i understand all skin types are different.. if she has reoccuring diaper rash try putting her on probiotics it could be coming from internal issues. :)
    angelbabies14

Answer by angelbabies14 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• i don't use any creams. i try to keep it as dry as possible and my kids have rarely had diaper rashes. i know diapers are expensive but i change them often too.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 8:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• plan ole corn starch works great and airing out, change the diaper alot to help protect the skin, urine and fecal matter is very harsh on the skin
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2008