Any 1 expecting and has dogs?

What are you doing to get your 4leg friend ready for baby time?

mamabluejax

Asked by mamabluejax at 8:10 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Pets

• he's an american bulldog, btw
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 11:39 AM on May. 19, 2011

• I'm going to send DH home with a blanket that the baby has been swaddled in while we're still at the hospital and put it in my chihuahua's cage so at least he can get used to the smell of the new baby...other then that I'm not really sure WHAT to do lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:12 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I work in a animal hospital just found out i am prego 5wks nervouse and i want to start asap getting my to big dogs ready for our first baby they never bin around any kids/ they don't do well with outsiders ugh well i have lots of time to start training i guess lol
    mamabluejax

Comment by mamabluejax (original poster) at 8:23 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Put baby powder, diapers, wipes and pretty much anything that smells like a baby around the house. Allow them to sniff the items or lay next to them, but give them a correction if they get too close or try to play with these items or put them in their mouths. this allows them to associate these scents with respect and puts your baby in the pack leader position early on. have hubby bring home a blanket from the hospital as well as a reaffirmation of what they learned during the pregnancy before baby comes home.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:33 PM on May. 17, 2011

• We also bought a baby doll and used the powder, diapers, and lotions on the doll to simulate the baby while I was still pregnant. It gave the dogs a while to get used to the idea and since my dogs like to jump it allowed them to learn that they could jump up while I was holding the baby. Also let the dogs into the nursery to sniff around, but don't let them hangout in there unsupervised to get used to the fact that that room is not for them.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:50 PM on May. 17, 2011

• *couldn't
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 10:51 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i have read and heard of things to do to prepare dogs for babies and when i first heard this i thought, i didn't do anything. my dogs adjusted just fine yet they were never afraid of people or kids in the first place. i suppose it's walys better to be safe then sorry. so prepare but don't worry to much. dogs can tell your pregnant and i think dogs have the nuturing instincts in them towards babies. although i could be way off and wrong about that!
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:04 AM on May. 18, 2011

• I honestly focused more on the cats then I did my dog because my dog was 16 years old and her health was failing. I started opening the babies things like the diapers and baby powder so that they would get used to the new smells. I am not even sure my dog could smell that well at that point. But Zippy was so good with everyone, she worked around people for a long time going into hospitals and nursing homes for visits. Zippy lived for the first 5 months of my daughter's life and was wonderful with her.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:43 AM on May. 18, 2011

• If there is anything that will change, like they are allowed on the furniture now but you don't want them up there after the baby comes, change now, don't wait until the baby is here.
    Fairierose81

Answer by Fairierose81 at 8:01 PM on May. 18, 2011

• i didn't prepare our dog, either. he was almost two when the baby was born, and he's adjusted fine. the only problem we've had is him acting out a bit because we haven't had as much time with him, and he's kind of an attention whore ;) but other than that, he's been great. he's very gentle with the baby (she's nine months), and lets her touch him, even though she likes to poke him and pull on his ears lol. we're expecting again, and i'm not worried at all.
    AngryBob