If you are a nanny/babysitter....or if you have a nanny/babysitter...

How much do you get paid/or pay the sitter? I am asking b/c I keep 2 kids 3 days a week and make about $7.40 an hour. (in Ga) after this year they are moving and I didn't know If the next people I sit for I should say I charge that much or is that to much an hour? The care I do now is only 27 hours a week so should I charge cheaper an hour if its more hours a week??

I have alot of experience and I also do 3 crafts (good ones) and 3 worksheets/colorsheets a week with the kids. Thanks for any feedback have never really been the one to name a price when caring for children. Just kinda let them say how much they were going to pay.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Money & Work

• The price on care.com says like 11.50 an hour do people really pay that for a 40 hour week??
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I live in Ga. My DD goes to a non-certified home. I pack her lunch-the baby sitter provides milk and snacks. I pay her $25 a day if I pick up before 6. After 6 it's $35.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:12 PM on May. 17, 2011

• oh yeah this is care for in their home too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:13 PM on May. 17, 2011

• for me, it would depend on how many kids if i did it for a living...

I babysit for some friends during the summer, they have 3 girls & pay me $8.00 an hour. I'd do it for free...but they insist on paying me. Apparently, it's a lot less than what they paid other people in the past.

Many people might not want to pay $11.00..unless you know they're rich. I would discuss it with the people & the two of you could come up with a good compromise i'm sure.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:16 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Unless you are certified and even then to an extent... your prices will need to be competitive. More and more people are making ends meet by baby sitting for cash under the table. You scratch my back I'll scratch yours kinda thing...
    Anonymous

• i was a full time baby sitter i charged 8 an hour + 3.50 for 5 diaper changes and 4.85 for cooking a meal and i also charged 1.75 per sink load for dishes if i cleaned the house it was an extra 3.75 an hour, that was for one child for 2 or more children baby sat i charged 12.00 per hour all the other stuff was included. I made bank at baby sitting because the local day care centers charges 100 dollars a day it did not matter if it was just an hour or 2.
    momy_lynn_16

Answer by momy_lynn_16 at 8:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• wow lynn where do/did you live?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:43 PM on May. 17, 2011

• It depends on the area in which you live, but I am near DC and make $13/hr. Look at a lot of ads at care.com and ask a fair price for your services.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:45 PM on May. 17, 2011

• typically you set a day price for set schedules. . (between 20 per one child, and if you are certified you can do 25 and add addition $5 -10 per child if you want to be generous, but can go upwards of 30 per child with a 10 % discount after the first child).

I just baby sat one child, and did it for 20 a day (2-3 hours a day. It covered the gas as well for picking him up from his grandmothers and bringing him to her house to sit for him and everything else for him was provided).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:10 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i chrg $30 per day...too low!!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 9:44 PM on May. 17, 2011