Judeo-Christian belief...confused

What exactly does it mean that people are Jewish and Christian? Wouldn't they just say they are CHristian if they accept Jesus? I am confused.

jujubean1979200

Asked by jujubean1979200 at 8:19 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Jews for Jesus are a huge heated topic. Any mainstream Jew would not accept a Jew for Jesus as anything but a Christian who uses Jewish practices. Jews do not believe in Jesus as anything other than an historical figure.

--

Agree ^. Also, Judeo-Christian has different meanings depending on context. It could just mean someone who converted from Judaism to Christianity in some cases. I think it's more commonly used to talk about the shared ethics or history of Christianity and Judaism though, as Christianity emerged from Jewish traditions, they have a common history until their point of divergence.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Judeo-Christian is an adjective to describe beliefs common among Christians and Jews-

"Judeo-Christian (in British English, Jud├Žo-Christian) is used in the United States since the 1940s refer to standards of ethics held in common by Judaism and Christianity. The term is also used in a historical sense to refer to the close early connections between Christianity and Judaism."
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:58 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Jews for Jesus are NOT Jews, they're CHRISTIAN. There may be some ethnic Jews in the group because after all, that's why it was created, to convert Jews to Christianity, but most of their members are NOT Jews.
    As a Jew, I've always had issues with the term "Judeo-Christian" because the two faiths are so different, it's hard to find even one concept that could be truly described as "Judeo-Christian". Judaism actually has much more similarities with Islam than with Christianity.
    As for a person being a "Judeo-Christian" that would only mean a Jew who embraced Christianity as his religion. If he's born of a Jewish mother, he'll always be considered Jewish even if he becomes the Pope. However, that's a Jew that doesn't follow Judaism, which is the religion of the Jewish people. But no one can really embrace both religions as they're almost opposites, either you're one or the other, they cannot be mixed.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:03 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Um, I think Jewish people don't believe that Jesus was the son of God but other than that, it's really similar.
    Anonymous

• Judaism is both a cultural and religious identity. They're not going to deny their Jewish heritage just because they believe in Jesus.

being Jewish is not all about religion....there is a lot of history there..
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:26 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I heard it somewhere that they accept Jesus as the messiah which goes against the Torah and what most Jews believe so that is why I was asking. I honestly don't get it.
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Some Jews do believe Jesus was the son of god. You've ever heard of "Jews For Jesus"?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• No, the average Jewish person does not accept Jesus as the messiah, but there are some out there that do.

Google "Jews for Jesus"...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:28 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Ok maybe I read it wrong. I guess it is simple but when you ask them their belief they say something along the lines of my question. I wouldn't think they would have to tie in their heritage. That is like saying I am an American-Christian. It makes sense though I guess
    jujubean1979200

Comment by jujubean1979200 (original poster) at 8:29 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Jews for Jesus are a huge heated topic. Any mainstream Jew would not accept a Jew for Jesus as anything but a Christian who uses Jewish practices.

Jews do not believe in Jesus as anything other than an historical figure.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:29 PM on May. 17, 2011