Am I the only momma who gave their baby whole milk before age 1??

My daughter is 11 months old and I started giving her whole milk. Am I the only momma who didn't wait till my baby was 1?? If there are any other moms that didn't wait,please tell me how your baby reacted and tips for bottle breaking.

HerMomma062310

Asked by HerMomma062310 at 8:25 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave my son small amounts at 11 months with his meals... not a bottle full or anything.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:27 PM on May. 17, 2011

• nope you are not. i started both of mine early
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 8:28 PM on May. 17, 2011

• i started the transition at 11 months.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:33 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I gave my oldrst whole milk at 1o months, but theat was 22 years ago. My twins that are 5 were on formula until they were three due to prematurity...my oldest suffered no ill effects, but I do not believe in breaking from a bottle so no tips from me
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 8:36 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I breastfed and my children never had cow's milk. They are now adults and never drank a glass of cow's milk.

Formula was invented so babies that didn't have human milk would survive. Formula is modified cow's milk because cow's milk can cause damage to the baby's organs, slow brain development, or even death before 12 mo. It has the wrong balance of chemicals. The damage may not be recognized for years.

Humans don't need the milk of cows or other mammals. At 12 months a formula fed baby can be weaned to water. Up to 12 months a formula fed baby needs around 32 oz of formula a day. At 12 months a baby can survive on water and food. Breastfed babies should continue to breastfeed for at least 24 months.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:37 PM on May. 17, 2011

• started about 11 months, gradually adding milk to formula. couple days after her 1st bday..(2 weeks ago) stoped the bottle cold turkey..she has had no problems adjusting to the milk or stopping bottles... and can i just add...IM SO GLAD IM DONE W BOTTLES!!
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 8:38 PM on May. 17, 2011

• well, my kids didn't drink milk, but i do have a tip on how to break them from the bottle. throw all the bottles away. they will forget about it faster than you think! they can drink from sippy cups instead of bottles. and i mean throw them ALL away....no 'emergency stash' ....it works great.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• I didn't wait until my kids were exactly a year. I mixed formula with milk to kind of transition like maybe a week or two before. I would consult a pediatrician. And kids do need to drink milk for calcium, unless they are lactose intolerant. I think those formulas for normal kids over a year is ridiculous. It's just a waste of money. I'm not breastfeeding a two year old...sorry. If you baby is ok with it and your pediatrician agrees, then go for it.
    Sweetcollegemom

Answer by Sweetcollegemom at 8:46 PM on May. 17, 2011

• We started my DD on milk at about 9 months. She would no longer nurse & the ped said it would be fine since she wouldn't drink formula either. My parents gave my sisters & I milk & all 4 of us turned out fine. My DD is almost a yr & is fine. We very rarely give her a bottle unless we are in the car or at bed time. If you are concerned about the milk talk to your ped the can advice you on whats best for your baby & its health. We found that the best way to get her off the bottles, was to not give her one. She was breast fed so so didn't get one unless it was water. We also got a sippy cup with a soft nipple on it so the transition would go smoothly. She now drinks from any sippy cup & from a cup.
    kayleesmom42328

Answer by kayleesmom42328 at 8:49 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Ds was about 9 or 10 months when hes started to not want formula so we went to milk and hes did fine!
    myboysRmyhero

Answer by myboysRmyhero at 8:52 PM on May. 17, 2011