HPV vax. Yes/no? good/bad?

At this point in time, I would not get my girls the HPV vax because I think the side effects are too common and severe.

It does have it's good points though.

Would you get it yourself/ for your daughter? Why? Why not?

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 8:27 PM on May. 17, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• GOOD I got it when I was younger and it had no adverse side affects it just protects agianst the virus I'd say do it. As long as you understand the pros and cons witch wernt a problem with me at all. I think it gives pice of mind and it protects your childeren from the virus which can cause cancer so thats enough for me!
    Myiesta

Answer by Myiesta at 8:34 PM on May. 17, 2011

• HPV is an STD and like all other STD's it can be avoided by practicing safe sex, which is much more important to teach, IMO. so no, my daughters won't be getting the vaccine.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:35 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Is this the Gardasil vaccine? No, no way in hell will my daughter be getting it!
    Anonymous

• I will do it but closer to puberty. At age 11 or 12. The recommendation here is 9. You know it's not just for girls though right?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:38 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Yes it is Gardasil. If I remember right, it causes infertility in a number of cases.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 8:39 PM on May. 17, 2011

You can teach and teach and teach but you can't be there ALL the time. they will make choices one day and all you can do is hope and [ray they make the right one... but if they don't wouldn't want them protects at LEAST from the HPV. If the risk of side effects was your worry that's one thing but just not getting it based on well I'll just teach them safe sex... seems risky.
    Anonymous

• No I didn't know you could give it to boys. I hit puberty at 9 so I guess it depends on the girl.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Wait, doesn't just protect against genetal warts? Which "may" be linked to cancer?
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• anon, that's your opinion and what i said is mine. my mom taught me safe sex and i practiced it and never caught an STD. was it luck or good parenting? i say the latter.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:42 PM on May. 17, 2011

• Nope. The side effects are awful and I am not willing to risk my child's fertility or life because they may have irresponsible sex.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:03 PM on May. 17, 2011